Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #1201 
missavgp

Lol it seems like the wild bettas are always in season and the ladies are always trying to entice the boys.
missavgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #1202 
Kim

Are wilds as personable as the splendens? It is surely a compelling idea to have a tank with more than one fish in it, but I sure do love those puppy-dog personalities ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #1203 
LittleBettaFish

Most of the mouthbrooding species and the splendens complex are friendly. The complex I keep is probably the most shy, and even the ones I have raised myself and owned for a couple of years are fairly reclusive.

I'd look at the splendens or unimaculata complex if you want particularly friendly fish.

I also think my uberis male is in his film canister working on a nest as the female has barred right up and has some nips out of her caudal. Now I'm going to have to be the bad guy and destroy all his hard work.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #1204 
Warbler

I have a question. I bought two unpaired male-female betta coccinas, and they've slowly been getting used to each other, and the male can finally get about an inch from her while flaring before she starts freaking out, so I *think* they're getting paired up. She also bars up fairly often...but she's been fairly reclusive for the past few days and just appeared today with a pretty big chunk of her tail missing and even some pieces missing on her anal fin and just generally looking beat up, but she's all barred up. Should I remove her to recuperate? She can still swim, and is acting normally. Would I kind of ruin the chances of her getting "closer" to the male?
Thanks!
Thanks!
Warbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #1205 
LittleBettaFish

The coccina complex can be really aggressive to each other. I put them on par with, or just behind the splendens complex in this regard. The coccina complex is all I keep and I have had established pairs suddenly turn extremely violent resulting in severe injury or even death.

Courtship is usually a very rough process and so it is normal for there to be damage to fins, scales etc. I can't make a judgment call on the behaviour of your female and whether she is being unduly harassed by the male. But I rarely pull my fish unless it's obvious that one is going to become sick or seriously injured if they remain together.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #1206 
Warbler

Alright, thanks. This is my second wild species, and it seems they're almost the opposite of albis, haha. I'll keep her in for now then since she seems otherwise fine.
Warbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #1207 
LittleBettaFish

Yes albis and channoides are probably the most docile of betta species. The coccina complex is beautiful but they can be savage.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #1208 
missavgp

Just wanted to update that I have albi fry. my male held for 15 days and spit out 12+ (12 for sure but I may have missed one) babies. They are awfully cute.
missavgp is offline   Reply With Quote