Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #21 
goinpostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I haven't read the whole thread - but to comment on your feeding the food you are using is full of wheat and fillers and can cause constipation issues. I would look for Omega One Betta Buffet (feed 3-4 split up into 2 feedings with one fast day a week) or New Life Spectrum Betta (feed 5-8 split up into 2 or 3 feedings with one fast day a week).

I agree he needs a larger container and warm him up too. 2.5g is minimum. 5g makes it tons easier to keep him healthy.
ah ok...will go find other food today. as for the tanks i am working on getting the others ready now.they are going to be in 10 gallon (because i have them on hand) going to be a few more days until my heaters get here so these going to be it until then :) thanks for the food suggestion!
goinpostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #22 
goinpostal

great info from all of u. i am very grateful!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #23 
sandybottom
Reference Team

it may be depression too. but try a new food. mine love nls, and the garlic it contains is an appetite stimulant.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #24 
DragonFish

Sounds like you've got it all set and sorted then! Your boys are both gorgeous, I bet once they're both all set up in their heated 10 gallons they'll perk right up even more. ;)

Since everything else has been addressed I think(the food and whatnot), I'll just remind you to pick up a little bottle of Prime, if only to make sure that you're truly getting everything bad out of your water instantly and so that you can add water right into the tank without letting it sit and cool. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #25 
goinpostal

just wanted to update...my little blue and red is doing much better today.he is much more active and not clamping his fins...he is still not 100% because he hasnt eaten BUT he did go for his food today.the new food must be more appealing to him.maybe tommorrow he will eat it...the red one is still doing great and doing the will dance for food wiggle everytime we get near the tank. i wish my heaters would get here!!!cant wait to see how psycho aka too big for his britches (my red one) likes the new abode :)
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Carter perked up when he was in his ten gallon.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #27 
DragonFish

Ahh, that sounds wonderful! Great to hear!!
I wouldn't worry too much about the food, especially if hes showing interest in it. Sometimes when you switch foods it'll take them a few days to get used to the new stuff. ;)
Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #28 
Neight

About the colors {I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if someone replied!}, that's natural! His colors do not look like ammonia burns or bruising, he's just marbled, which means his colors will change over time. One of my boys has similar peachy/pink spots. And on food, you can occasionally, {read, once a week or so} feed them one or two freeze dried, frozen or even live bloodworms! If they are freeze dried, you should soak them in a little dish of tank water first, because they are nearly hollow and that excess air can cause bloating. If they're frozen, you need to unthaw them before feeding, and probably cut them up a little, as I've read they tend to be big. Freeze dried or frozen brine shrimp make a good once in a while treat, too, so I've read. None of it is necessary- just fun for a treat!
You're doing really well in caring for them now! It's a very rewarding experience, I find. Best of luck!
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #29 
DragonFish

I do agree that a little variety in the form of some treats, be they freeze dried, frozen, live, or a mix a couple times a week is great, but I'd also like to add that one should not soak any sort of food unless it is in something like garlic juice to entice appetite. Soaking foods does nothing really but leech out the nutrients of the food, and it doesn't prevent bloating. Your fish don't swallow their food whole, they 'crush' or 'chew' it(if you watch your betta closely, you'll see their heads move up and down when you feed, and if you listen you can hear them crushing their food), so it doesn't sit and expand in their stomach. Thats just a myth. Bloating is only caused by poor quality foods and over feeding.

Freeze-dried does carry more of risk of bloating though because of how its processed, but the only way to help lessen that risk is to feed carefully and sparingly. A lot of people have no problems with it, but even when fed properly some fish just don't do well on it.....so its not my favorite. I would recommend frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp/Krill or live bloodworms(make sure they are true bloodworms, not black worms!), brine shrimp, Mosquito larvae(if you live in a good place for them, you can just set a bucket of water outside and collect them yourself, though in a lot of places they may just be seasonal), or even some Flightless Fruit Flies over anything freeze-dried really.