Betta Fish Forum banner

A little help

430 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tpopcaz 
#1 ·
I've been having these two betta's for about 2 months now and in the last 2-3 weeks I've been feeding them everyday conditioning them. I set up a 10g tank with about 3-4 gallons in it and let the heater work overnight. Today I placed the male in the tank and the female in a jar. At first they were looking at each other alot, now the male just lays at the bottom and the female stares at him. In the tank I have a cup cut in half the heater a sponge filter and had some plants and a hideout. I watched some youtube videos and they said use a 5g bucket with only the cup and the betta in a jar. I will leave the female in the tank in the jar overnight, but tomorrow should I release her and see what happens? If so how long should I leave her in there with him? Also which method is right the bucket or the tank? Any other tips I'd love to read!

#2 ·
Any method works. You have to find what best suits you.
I'm guessing you got that from "the best breeder in the world" . . . be careful. His method isn't for beginners.

Before you continue, I'd suggest you learn their body language - how they act/swim in fighting mode and in breeding mode. Only then can you safely determine when to release the female.
In fighting mode they flare head on and hold their position.
In breeding mode they flare then swim all over the tank.

Since this is your first, I suggest you use a glass tank because it's easier to control, clean, and detect any problems as soon as possible. And use plenty of hideout - safer for the female. When you've got the hang of it, then you can try the bare tank method.

#3 ·
If the male is just laying there and showing no interest, it probably means she isn't near ready to breed. Or he could be stressed by it, or he isn't ready to breed.. he should have enough energy to flare/dance for hours and then spend days taking care of the eggs/fry with no food.

What were you feeding during conditioning, and how were you conditioning exactly?

I wouldn't release her until the male is flirting and trying to lure her to the nest, and she is being submissive and full of eggs.. otherwise you run the risk of them attacking one another.

I prefer the tank so I can see what is going on, but I have best success breeding (virgins) in a bowl/small plastic container (no hiding spots) within the 10g which I will then transfer the fry over at a certain point to the tank. So methods vary upon each fish and breeder. I would try the tank route first though - cover up the front/sides with a few wash cloths or dish towels (I just tape them on the outside with masking tape) to make sure the fish don't get disturbed during the process.. sneak peeks every hour or so to see if they are breeding (a process which could take hours to complete), so then you can remove the female as soon as they are done.

Breeding is 95% patience, especially when the fish and breeder are first timers.. we've all been there and still are in many ways when it comes to some of the fish. So don't give up - find what works best for you.

#6 ·
Leave her in the jar for another day then let her loose. Just to give him time to finish the nest a bit more.

Does she have breeding stripes? (Vertical stripes easily seen on darker colored females when they are ready to spawn)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.