Betta Fish Forum banner

Sponge Filters?

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  firefox1984 
#1 ·
I have looked online on how to make sponge filters and I want to know from seasoned Betta owners what design works the best for adult and fry Betta?

#2 ·
I'm not a fan of sponge filters for adults. It doesn't filter as good as regular filters. BUT it is great/safe for fry/young bettas. I use a home made rectangle shaped sponge, placed at the center back of the tank.

The basic principle is making the water go through the pores of the sponge so debris can be filtered.

#4 ·
I don't know how it works in Germany but at least on ebay and other website like that, there are really cheap sponge filters. To the point that it is cheaper to buy them than to make them. Just thought you might be interested in checking those out before trying to make them.

#7 ·
It's not sold in my country - or I have never found them in 5 different fish shop areas.

I get a regular sponge, about 5cm thick. Cut it in two or three depending on length. Make a hole in the middle (length wise) BUT NOT ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Leave about 1 cm. This alone is enough - just place an airline tube in it. But I make a hole big enough for a big straw. I cut the straw to size and make holes on the straw. Place the straw in then place the airline tube. (straw is bigger than tube).

Sorry can't take pictures at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.