Betta Fish Forum banner

"Brilliant" "rich" colors

641 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  indjo 
#1 ·
What causes the colors to be so bright and rich on some bettas? I really don't know how else to describe them but I will post some examples. The pics are from aquabid and I do not own any of them. What causes the colors, and do you need two to create the colors, or will one parent pass the trait to their offspring?

#3 ·
I recognize one of those fish.. and it's a camera issue on that particular fish, this breeder's fish is just as colorful. He is also a member of this forum...

Photo editing, lighting and well.. the first ones come from Thailand and they have some like.. special water there lol :)

#4 ·
I didn't mean any thing bad by the second set of fish. They are beautiful, just a different intensity of color. As a matter of fact, the first bi color I will be buying myself if it is still around in a couple weeks. I was just using them as examples of different color intensity.

So this isn't a genetic thing? I mean, I have bought fish from thailand and they did not have this same type of coloring. Now the camera thing I get, but I have never seen it change the color in that manner. Maybe they just know how to make the camera do it. I would think that would be bad for business. If I was expecting to get this bright rich colored fish, and got a different type, I would be a little upset. I know that colors are different in different light, but you can see that when the fish swims. I was just thinking it had something to do with genetics.

#6 ·
1. lighting
2. color type - regular colors are usually less intense than metallic and dragons.
Even irid dragons show different intensity - first picture from first group vs first picture from second group are examples of different type of irid. The second one is a dark irid, looks to have black in them while the first seems black free. . . . maybe have blond genes.

Second in second group looks like regular color and third looks metallic, not dragon. The two colors are rather dull. IMO it's their nature.

#7 ·
Wow! Do you have any idea how mad I would be if I bought a fish and when it arrived was not the color portrade in the pics? I thought their colors looked "thicker" in those fish. I thought maybe it was some type of new gene. Or maybe even from the dragon scale.

Indjo, so if a fish has a regular black gene, or maybe melano, the colors will be darker than if they have blond? I know that blond can "lighten" or make a color softer, but I had also read that it could also brighten depending on certain cother gene combinations. Thank you for this information. There is a gene combination I would like to try, and blond was included in that. I think I will be rethinking things!

Thanks everyone for the infor! Guess I can save my money huh?!

#9 ·
Basically speaking bettas with no black at all, specially if it had blond genes, usually would show a brighter and more intense color. But this also depends on the color type. . . or other genetic combinations.

Eg: A fairly pure red dragon would show very bright white body with red fins, If this were to be crossed to a black dragon, you might have a silverish-grey body with red fins. . . . not so bright.

Black melano, though said to have more intense black, IMO is not as black/bright black as black orchids . . . example of color type.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.