Betta Fish Forum banner

thoughts?

1K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  ifish 
#1 ·
I am going to the store today to pick up a filter and heater, plants and maybe another cave thing. Do you think I could also get the betta today? If i leave the water to adjust to room tempreture while I'm at the store and then set the bag in the top to let him get used to it... While he was adjusting, I figured I could plug in the filter and heater and make the last few additions to the tank, like the stuff I bought. I don't think that will take long, so do you think this will be fine?

#2 ·
Oh, just realized that we are going to do something else after the store so I can't get the fish today either way : ( I really hope we can get to it again really soon

#6 ·
Always. I usually let a tank run a minimum of 24 hours before I add any stock to it. Preferably fishless cycle, I have 4 tanks I maintain for friends (not betta people) I am doing that on right now. They will have 8 tanks total in their home when these are ready.

I cycled Zeus' tank with him in it and Ares' tank is cycling with him in it now. I am doing 10% daily changes on Ares tank with 25% twice a week and gravel vac on the weekend 25% change.

Bad practice, but I have very limited space in the shoe box I share with a wife, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 betta, 3 rc cars and all the belongings that go along with a wife.... lol

Probably best that you wait on the betta.

#10 ·
Lol, back from the store now. I did get the decorations, and looked at bettas. I knew I couldn't get one, but still. I bought a 3 in one pack of fake plants, green tall ones, a heater, a rock decoration that I think is awesome, and tropical fish food. My store didn't have specific betta food, unless I didn't see it, which is most likely the case lol. i haven't bought any gravel yet because there wasn't any there that I liked. (Oh yea, what kind of bottom covering do you recomend? I heard the plastic rocks are ok but some bettas flare at their reflections. I heard gravel is hard to clean?)

I have it set up now, filled the tank with water and such. I placed the rock so that both openings are open and the heater in the corner, obstructed by the two corners of the rock so that the betta can't get to it. I don't think this would be a problem but just for my sake XD.

The poor bettas, I so wanted to take one home right then, but I couldn't. There were many that were practically laying on the bottom, and some that there fins were twisted or bent over itself. There wan't much of a selection either, most were red, which I expected, but there were hardly any blue, which I thought was the most common color. Any way, I think I will try a different store when I go to get him, just to get a bigger selection. There's a tiny pet shop down the block that seems to have better quality fish than the big guys. I never noticed if it has bettas or not.

lol, thanks for listening, keep you posted

#12 ·
Thanks! should I run the heater? and I couldn't find a filter small enough for a 5 gallon at the store, at least none that showed the 'recomended size' without a filter, on a 5 gal, how often should I be doing water changes?

#14 ·
Sounds good to me. Should I be running the heater while the tank is betta-less?

#16 ·
I don't care about theelectricity, ours is really low actually lol. but would it be beneficial? Or should i turn it on maybe 24 hours prior to getting the betta?

#18 ·
Thanks! I can't wait!

#20 ·
And when you do get one def. post some pics up :)

#21 ·
lol I wouldn't dare not to!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.