Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #1 
rapidashton

Talking HELP !!!!!!!!!! Cycling questions?

Hi so I've had my betta for almost 2 months and I've been trying to do a fish in cycle. It's been a while and a week ago, I tested my water for ammonia and thankfully, it was all over! 0ppm. Now for nitrites, i dont have a testing kit and I have no idea what's going on in my tank. The water was been super clear for a week straight (no water changes, i hope i'm not making him suffer) and i know just because the water is clear that it doesnt mean I should think everything is ok. Should I keep doing water changes and how many times? I'm afraid to do a full tank change because I might get too much good bacteria off my plants and decorations. I have a 5 gallon tank, one fish, a heater, water conditioner, and a filter. My betta has also been super active and swimming a lot. He looks ok. Am i just worrying about nothing? This is the first time ive ever had a fish!! And thanks in advance!!!!! Any tips???? Do i keep changing the water? What's going on in my tank??
rapidashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

I'm willing to bet that your tank is in fact cycled. You would need to test for nitrites just to make sure that is 0 a well. Observing that nitrates are rising over time is the final confirmation that the cycle is complete, though that can be difficult to determine in some setups, such as a heavily planted tank since nitrate will be utilized, perhaps at the same rate as they are produced in which case they would not increase. They could also drop to 0 in such a setup.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #3 
kyle89

Even if the tank is cycled a weekly 25-50% water change needs to be preformed. Most of the BB actually lives in the filter media. Your best bet is to get a nitrite test and test the tank to see where you are
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #4 
rapidashton

Thanks!
rapidashton is offline   Reply With Quote