Betta Fish Forum banner

Fourth betta...need advice please!

1K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  MSG 
#1 ·
Okay, so I went out to buy Bella her 2.5 tank I'd been waiting to get. She can now get out of her one gallon bowl. Most of you can guess what happened while I was in the store. Yes, I got my fourth betta (why have an empty bowl right)? Anyway, my third betta "Beau" is still not really eating, just swims back and forth, back and forth in his 5.5g. It's really hard to tell if he is eating at all, and I'm cleaning up most of his food off the bottom. So, here is my question. Would I be better off putting "Beau" into "Bella"s 1g bowl so it's easier to see what/if he's eating? Also, I'm still thinking he may be one of those bettas that just never settles with a much larger area? He does not appear ill at all, just taking a long time getting relaxed in the 5.5, it's been two weeks now. Any help with this decision would be great. I am looking forward to getting my new addition out of his cup, but want to decide if Beau should go into the 1g instead of the new fish. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Anyone please have a suggestion? I want Beau to settle down some, not stress him more, but it is very hard in the 5.5 to tell if he's eating. I really want to get the new guy into new digs...but, I'm having a really tough time making a wise decision here. Help!

#3 ·
I don't believe in the 1 gallon bowls or anything like it. Its just my personal opinion but I don't think a betta should be kept in anything less than a 5 gallon. all of my boys get their own 10 gallon tanks, although I am considering dividing those and keep 2 boys per tank, just haven't decided on that yet

#4 ·
IMO, 1 gallon is perfectly fine for the long fins. I say you should put them in there. It's going to be easier for you and for him. He'll see the food easier and so shall you. Just remember to do needed water changes. 1 50% and 100% per week. :)

I keep Lebron in a 3.5 gallon and I say 1 gallon is the minimum. I already got him a sponge filter and am starting to cycle my tank, or filter.

#5 ·
Bella has been in the one gallon, Buddy is a CT who has his own 5g filtered tank, and Beau has been in his filtered 5.5 for two weeks now...I bought the 2.5 to move Bella into, she is tiny, but I wanted more space for her. The question is...should I put the new male into the 1g for now, or move the other male who is having trouble "settling" in, and I can't tell if he's eating, into the 1g bowl. Sorry, confusing I know..

#7 ·
The one who's not settling in should go into the 1 gallon. He should feel more secure in a smaller space. A female Betta should go into a bigger tank than males IMO. They have shorter fins, which means more swimming. Why can't you see if he eats?

#8 ·
Thanks Lebron...yes, the female is going into the 2.5 either way. I just figured the male who is not settling into the 5.5 might do better in the 1g for now. I can't see if he's eating because he never comes up for the pellets...I've tried wiggling my finger to get his attention, but he seems uninterested. Usually when I come back the pellets are gone, however, I'm not sure if he's eating them or letting them get water logged and sink. My choices are, new male into 1g, or the one who's not settling into the bowl, and new guy into the 5.5. sigh lol.

#14 ·
Thank you DQ...I'm thinking he might do better there also. Well, I'm just about to move the new guy into the 5.5! Sigh...then I need to do a water change on Buddy's tank...I'm thinking that might wait until tomorrow lol. I'm tired. Can't wait for ya'll to see the new guy! He was listed as a "dragon scale", but his water was so dirty I couldn't tell. He is very active though, and other than a small "bite" out of his tail, I think he will do well! Now, for a name lol.

#13 ·
Yes, as long as there are no problems with Beau besides hardly eating you can put the new male in after acclimation. I hope he gets better. Your welcome, I've been through very hard times, too don't worry. After a while, it gets better.

#17 ·
I think I saw that one too DQ...really gorgeous. You should have heard the sigh my husband let out when I called him from the pet store where I was "just going to get Bella her new tank" lol...When I asked about the new fish he said, "No"..and there was like 3 seconds of silence on both ends, then he says, "Do I ever say "No" to you"?? LOL...

#18 ·
Its all daunting when your number of bettas first starts to climb but once you get your new schedule working and you know whats going on you will fall right into it, soon it won't matter if you have 4 or 40 lol, once you get a routine and a schedule things just work

#22 ·
This is why I highly suggest NOT using gravel/substrate when you bring back a new betta fish.

I kept all my girls in small tanks for the first couple weeks to make sure they're adjusting and eating properly.

The last one I brought home my little Sorbetto/Sorbetti didn't care there was no gravel. As soon as I released her into the mini kk tank. She immediately started to dance around the tank examining the fallen leaves on the bottom.

She even tried to eat one. You can see the leaf sticking out of her mouth in the 3rd picture.

Sorbetti's colors brightened up once I started to test her palate with different brands of pellets.

She's one of the smallest but healthiest bettas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.