Betta Fish Forum banner

black with blue tints

9K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Mar 
#1 ·
There was a fish at Petco tonight that looked black but on closer inspection there were some spots that were ever so slightly blue. He was a double tail and the tail was small.

Is this also called "orchid"?

I might get him tomorrow. Or at least a photo.

#9 · (Edited)
I decided to get him because not only was he unique but he has an sore on his gill! Is he an orchid? Also any tips for the sore? I have him in stress coat and plan to do 100% water changes.

The first 2 where he is facing left are his "good" side the rest are various close-ups and angles of his sore. It looks like a red pimple.:

#10 ·
Wow, what a find! I bet he'll be really gorgeous once he settles in. Be sure to update us with pictures in a few weeks!

#12 · (Edited)
Black orchid is just a color classification. It can be any tail type. If I recall correctly, the IBC doesn't recognize it - but I think it's pretty, anyway. :)

As for the pimple, it could be lymphocystis. If it is, it's usually a self-limiting problem, meaning a healthy fish's immune system should take care of the issue. (You know the drill: warm, clean water and good nutrition. LOL)

Here's a link to a good article, and some information that's in it, regarding Lymphocystis:

Lymphocystis Disease in Fish http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181

"Lymphocystis is spread by fish-to-fish contact or contact with infected tissues.....

Currently, there is no good treatment that will speed up recovery from this disease. Most often, the disease must run its course in an affected fish. Fortunately most cases of lymphocystis in warmwater fish will resolve on their own after a few weeks, as long as husbandry is good (good water quality/chemistry, good nutrition, correct population densities, optimal social groups) and as long as other stressors have been eliminated....

As with other diseases, making sure water quality and husbandry practices as a whole are optimal, being careful with handling, avoiding overcrowding, and reducing or eliminating unnecessary stressors (including parasites) that may result in physical trauma will all help reduce the potential for infection and spread.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.