Betta Fish Forum banner

Rotting Fin or Not ??

3K views 45 replies 3 participants last post by  blue moon 
#1 · (Edited)
Rotting Fin or Not ?? QUICKLY PLEASE

ok so on my last 2 fin threads the fins were getting shorter and shorty and i don't know y but i moved him in a small tank to clean out the 5 gallon and to do stuff to it after i was done (his in the small tank still only been 1 almost 2 days) i was on my computer and i saw my betta chasing after its fin i interrupted twice and he stopped as far as i know until i fell asleep so now i see brown on his fin just a tiny bit im guessing its his fins rotting or is it something else what can i do to treat it ??? and he has a big split on his back what do i do >< :blueworry: but his bottom fins got better from the last time thank goodness :) everything is growing back since i put him in the small tank but im more worried about the brown now

plzzzzzzzzzz answer quickly

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Fill the below out so people can better determine the situation :)

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

#3 · (Edited)
Housing
my tank is 5.5 gallon
usually around 79
yes
no
yes
non yet

Food
AQUEON betta food
twice a day once in the morning once at night

Maintenance
twice in one week (fish cycle)
50%
Aqua Safe water conditioner/ Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:

non

Symptoms and Treatment

fins getting shorter and one split on his back but fins growing a little after i moved him into 1 gallon until i know whats going on with him

besides moving him to a different tank nothing

when i started doing water changes for the first or second time tail got tinnier and tinnier then short then split and brown a tiny bit by the time i was on my second week of water change but he then stopped after i moved him its still brown a tinny bit

nope

1 week and a half

#4 ·
Well your setup seems to be solid, and you mentioned you did catch him chasing his tail? If he is biting his tail he could have gotten an infection which could account for the brown spots. I would make sure there are no rough edges in the tank to irritate his fins or tear them further, and make sure the water is kept pristinely free from ammonia. Also make sure the temp is staying pretty regular, and raise it to more like 80. You should also add some aquarium salt to help with the regrowth. Limit any other stressors your fish might have, such as bright lights or being able to see nearby fish. But in the case of him just being a tail biter, make sure you have plenty to keep him occupied in the tank such as diverse decorations, a betta log, etc. One of the stickied posts on this section of the forum about treating illnesses has a list of types of medications to use in severe cases, but yours seems to be pretty mild so I would treat it conservatively with the warm, clean water and aquarium salt!

#5 ·
Oh and also you might want to test the params of your tap water, and use Seachem Prime to treat your water instead of aqueon.

#7 ·
He's biting, no rot. Baffle your filter and see what happens. The spots and the end is probably blood but just keep your water clean and it'll heal. Don't treat with Aquarium Salt as he's just going to bite while in treatment.

#8 ·
could it be fin rot, or ammonia burns because im secretly like spying on him and his not biting his tail and i asked on yahoo and they said it was that i would 2 ask to make sure i would need stress coat and some bacterial infection treatment (meaning aqua salt right) ??

#13 ·
Yep. As long as he's not lethargic or there are red or black edging against his fins, it's not fin rot. Baffle, though. DT's have a harder time swimming than other types because of all their finnage.

#15 ·
It depends on the water conditions. Clean water, 1-3 weeks or so for a full tail. If he keeps on biting, there's a small chance it'll ever be full lobes again. :( Tail Biting is annoying, but harmless unless they bit too far.

#17 ·
It might but they produce a lot of ammonia so it's kinda a risk. D: Maybe some shrimp? Just put in some more decorations or plants for extra cover. Bettas tend to eat them so start out with 2-3.

#19 ·
Well, an ADF needs 3 gallons per frog. I'm still not sure it's fine in a 5 gallon tank. Well, there are tons of shrimp! Ghost shrimp, red cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, etc. Red cherry and ghost shrimp are better. :) Lebron ate all 4 ghost shrimp that I put in my tank so good luck!

#24 ·
I have no clue actually. Lebron doesn't seem to have parasites. I was just lucky. :) Just look at the shrimp and look at their heads, I'm not sure, though. D:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.