Betta Fish Forum banner

Black Orchid DDR CT Spawn

31K views 212 replies 45 participants last post by  Overprotective Fish Lover 
#1 ·
Decided not to be lazy and actually start a log on this spawn :-D

Here are some old pics of mommy (Aria) and daddy (Ezria)... They are siblings and I'm hoping to get some double double rays (DDR) like the father or at least start moving towards that.

#5 ·
That is a really neat tail! :D

#7 ·
I lucked out on him actually! He wasn't DDR when I bought him, but just a few weeks later he started growing the second set of rays. I'm really hoping to have some frys like him because I don't think there's a lot of CTs like him out there ^^;

#6 ·
Thanks guys!

Eggs hatched today!! :-D I took a few pictures to upload but I'm really bad at taking pics so they all came out dark and blurry :oops: I'll try to get better ones tomorrow. It looks like a small spawn ~100, but they are so darn tiny that who knows... I could be completely off.

#8 ·
Well the nest is more or less gone, and I see a lot less wiggling tails than I did before. Not sure what happened but I guess daddy ate them since they aren't dead under the nest =(

Well, it's his first time caring for frys and I still see maybe 5-10 up in the nest. One of them is even quite the explorer! Hoping to see some free swimming tomorrow.

#10 ·
Hmmm I saw maybe 3 good embraces, then I went to do something else for about half an hour and lost count. I took the mom out when I saw that she started hiding again, although it half looked like she was still interested. I might have taken her out too early :hmm:

#16 ·
Babies!!!

Babies!! About 12+ free swimming and some still in the nest. Sorry for the crappy pictures, I tried my best but my camera had a hard time focusing on tiny things ><

Only the last two pics are from today, the others are from the past two days that I forgot to upload. Again, sorry for the bad photos but I hope you guys can still see a bit :oops:

#17 ·
Tried to feed them freshly hatched BBS, but I didn't really see that any of them were able to eat them. Maybe they were too big?

So I will try a little bit of boiled egg yolk... Tomorrow I will have some banana worms (BW) which are apparently quite small, and hopefully that'll work

Had a bit of an accident while feeding >< Stupid me got two cups mixed up and I ended up feeding a lot more BBS than I intended to. Luckily they stayed in one place and I vacuumed them out, ran the water through a pantyhose to get rid of the BBS and then put it back in the tank. Hopefully it didn't stress the little guys out too much...

Since there are still some up in the nest I'm considering leaving the dad one more day, but he started eating the BBS (which is helping me out) but now I'm worried that he's now thinking about food and will go after the babies O_O

#23 ·
Frys are 8 days old today. I did a rough count during feeding time and was surprised to find that there were about 25 of them out in the open! It's still a small number but last time I only counted 12. The tank is in a bit of an awkward spot, where it's difficult to see one half of the tank so it's possible that there are maybe 5-10 more hiding in the back.

#25 ·
Will you be selling some of them on the forum? I'd kill for a female like that in my sorority!
Sure will! I only plan to keep a few, so if most of them make it through I should have a lot for people to choose from ;-)

Most people aren't interested in CTs and I want them to go to good homes instead of pet stores, so I'll probably sell them pretty cheap around here and on aquabid. Would be pretty cool to know that at least one of them will go to a sorority :-D

#29 ·
I'm excited to see them color up! I definately would like a few girls for a sister sorority and maybe a pet male! I love CTs!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I'm excited too! CT's have always been my favorites and it would be awesome to see them make a come-back :-D It's a good thing that they *should* be ready right near summer, so shipping will be a little easier on them. Would be happy to send some your way! I hope I get a nice female to male ratio.

#33 ·
Oh really? That'd be pretty nice! I will keep counting, I mean, so far I've been counting a little more each time so there's definitely hope.

Congrats on your spawn by the way! It must be really exciting to see them color up. I love sitting by the fry tank and just watch then hunt little worms off the ground. No colors yet of course, but I can see that some have brown eyes :-D

#37 ·
Next time you have a spawn you might try feeding infusoria for the first week after they are free swimming and add baby brine shrimp the day after free swimming. That always ensures the littler ones and slow starters get to eat until they catch up or are big enough to eat the BBS. I won several first places with my DDR Black Orchid crowntails in the IBC shows last season. When I retired the male from the show circuit he wasn't interested in spawning and the female I saved to spawn him with got sick and died. I'm currently playing around with some 8 ray DDDR Gold and Copper CTs but I really want the Black Orchids. Yours look very much like them and I would like nothing more than to have some to start breeding and entering back in the shows. Please keep me in mind when you decide to sell them. I would be very interested in a trio or two pair.

#43 ·
Thanks for the advice and sorry I'm replying so late (I was on vacation hehe). That's really cool that you have breed and shown Black Orchid DDRs, what category did you enter them in? I've always thought that because of the iridescence (and mine will probably have a LOT), they didn't really stand a chance in show :-?

Those 8 ray DDDRs sound amazing, I don't think I've ever seen one of them! I'll definitely keep you in mind when the time comes and will try to save some of the nicer ones. I really wanted to develop a line of black orchids CT DDRs (and well, I still do), but I will be starting medical school in August and don't really know if I'll be able to keep up with the breeding. So I'd be happy to know that someone else is breeding them :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.