Betta Fish Forum banner

New Tank Question

689 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RustyGuy 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I'm brand new here and have a question that I hope you can answer.

I have a new 10 gallon tank that I've left running without any fish for about 24 hours now. The water is tap water treated with aqua plus and the temperature is at about 25.5 C (78F)

I did some tests and the PH and everything appears normal. That being said the test are old, and I don't quite trust them... I'll be buying new ones tomorrow and re-testing.

My question is; assuming the tests are accurate, is it safe to move my Betta to his new home? Have I missed anything?

#3 ·
Hello and welcome to wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Your tank looks nice, be aware that plastic plants can sometimes cause some torn fins, silk and real plants are sometimes best when keeping a Betta.

And yes, add your Betta
What size tank is this?

And on the test, pH is important, but you don't want to change the pH with chemicals, most fish will adapt to your tap water pH and be fine....but those sudden changes can be deadly....

Do you understand the nitrogen cycle-if you are going to buy new test kit, look at getting the API master test kit to test for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, easy to use and last for ever

You can safely cycle the tank with the fish as long as you are dedicated to the needed water changes.

Would love to see pic of your new Betta too.....

#4 ·
Hi Oldfishlady,

Thanks for the info!
I'll look at switching to live plants in the near future. For now the new plants in this tank are very similar to the plant in his existing tank. He loves to play with the plant and I haven't noticed any damage so I think he'll be alright. At least for the he time being.=)

To answer your question, the new tank is a 10 gallon tank.
As for the Nitrogen cycle; I've been doing a lot of studying and unfortunately a lot of sources on the internet say different things so it's a little confusing.

However what I understand is the following:
My fish will produce waste, which in itself will produce ammonia. The ammonia will be oxidized by bacteria and become nitrite. Eventually the nitrites will be converted to less harmful nitrates by bacteria as they build up.

During the whole cycling process I'll need to monitor the levels frequently and compensate as necessary.

As for the picture; I'll have one shortly. =D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.