Betta Fish Forum banner

Spawn log: HMPK Dragon Geno Pair

19K views 272 replies 23 participants last post by  bettalover2033 
#1 ·
Ok so my HMPK pair will be here tomorrow. Here's a pic:

Organism Electric blue Fish Fish Aquarium

I only have a short amount of time to spawn them and barely squeeze this spawn in before I leave for Mexico on October 24th.

I will post pics of them in their new homes tomorrow.

See less See more
#91 ·
Well he ran out of sibling females for the marble, but he says he has related HMPK females without the dragon gene. Should I go for that, do you think? Because they could possibly have the dragon gene hidden somewhere. But if not, would I still get some dragons?

#92 ·
Both mine are just your regualr blues but carry dragon. Plus if you mix the two dragons might pop up so go for it.

As of just a few minuets ago I saw the first free swimmer :) I'm going to wait a little before removing him since it's only one of them.

#93 ·
Well I asked him for pictures of the females and my dad doesn't mind so I'll be doing that. It may just be the picture, but that one of your male certainly makes him look like a dragon. Lipstick and all lol.

Awesome! Can't wait to see pics!

#94 ·
Well I asked him for pictures of the females and my dad doesn't mind so I'll be doing that. It may just be the picture, but that one of your male certainly makes him look like a dragon. Lipstick and all lol.

Awesome! Can't wait to see pics!
He does in bright light but him and his sister are dark blue. But they carry the dragon gene so these fry will have that coloration.

#95 ·
Okay, I see.
Haven't gotten any answer yet but I only sent the message about an hour ago. If he sends pics I'll post them (maybe on a different thread though ;) )and you can help me pick a female out.

#96 ·
He's very good about replying. I'll send him a message on another forum and I'll get the response in at least an hour.

#97 ·
Yeah, he was pretty fast about sending a reply to my first question.

I might mention to him that you recommended him to me. I have to finish my homework so I'll check back in about half an hour and see if he replies.

Pics/videos of the fry would be lovely for us picture-greedy people lol.

#98 ·
Very nice spawn! I'm glad everything worked out!! So how much would u be asking for...for one of ur fry? I live in Colorado so shipping would be no problem I'm sure

#99 ·
I'm not Mr. Vamp but in answer to your question I believe the prices were in an earlier post.

#101 ·
Aww!

If we swapped pairs and I just paid for shipping, I could also adopt a cull or two as a pet and you could ship in the same box, right? Then I wouldn't have to pay extra shipping?

#102 ·
Aww!

If we swapped pairs and I just paid for shipping, I could also adopt a cull or two as a pet and you could ship in the same box, right? Then I wouldn't have to pay extra shipping?
It depends on the box but ya I'll just ship them free. Also watch out for any rescues you see ;)

#103 ·
Will do!

He still hasn't replied :(

#104 ·
Will do!

He still hasn't replied :(
He should soon, but maybe he's busy.

Anyway I'm attempting to add some baby snails to the fry tank. In the mean time I'm filling the tank up with clean water and I have some BBS in there for them.

#106 ·
Go under HMPK and search for someone in the US then look to the right of the auctions and see if the name is the_K and click on the name and you'll find all his auctions.

#114 ·
Well, he sent a pic. Only one female, apparently. Here she is:
Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Freshwater aquarium Plant Aquarium

The auction ends today so I'd better be fast about deciding.

#115 ·
I'd go for it.

#116 ·
Lol I am, Mr. Vamp. Except my dad doesn't understand why I want THIS fish, why I can't wait :roll:. So hopefully he'll decide it's okay. I emailed the_K to ask how much the female would be, no answer yet. But I realized there is a 3 hour time difference between us so he might not have even gotten it yet.

#117 ·
Well he said instead of the red dragon male that would come free with "buy it now" the female would. So if my dad will let me I'll be getting them!

Sorry for the double post...

#118 ·
Awesome!! :)

#119 ·
How's your spawn coming?

#120 ·
They're doin great!! doin the first water change now :)

#121 ·
Awesome!

I got the pair! *does happy dance*
At first my dad didn't want me to but I talked him into it-had to convince him that I would take complete care of it and they wouldn't be responsible for a thing lol. And he talked to my mom and she had the same questions but I answered them to their satisfaction and he said okay! I'm sooo happy!!

#122 ·
Awesome!!! Good luck with your spawn.

Well my babies now know what food is :p They started eating brine shrimp,

#123 ·
Thanks!

Lol that's cute-"my babies now know what food is":welldone:

#124 ·
Well at least one fry has velvet (I think it may just be the lighting) but as a preventative I deluted some anti parasictic meds in a 1/2 gallon of water and have increased water changes from 2 gallons a day to 3 or 4 gallons a day.

#126 ·
Same here, well finally after 5 days of free swimming they eat BBS :p

They're stomachs are bright orange but my guess is they've been eating infusoria this whole time (my culture fell and was ruined so it's a good thing I use live plants!!!). Also I think I lost only one fry so far and that was when they became free swimming. My guess is the large water changes, filter, food, and snails have helped.

I will continue the anti parasitic meds for a few more days and see. They're one week old (from the spawning day) tomorrow :)

Also my snails are twice the size they were when they first hatched (4 days ago) is it a snail thing??. Probably because of all that uneaten BBS and my water changes :p

#127 ·
It never ceases to amaze me how fast snails grow or how hardy they are. They're like the cockroaches of the aquatic world. I've taken them from a 78 degree tank to an 84 degree tank and they don't even notice. I've scraped their eggs off of IAL leaves and moved it to a whole other tank and they still hatch. I honestly think you could nuke them and they'd shake it off and keep going. :p

#128 ·
Mine went from 75 F to 93 F on a daily basis before they hatched :p They are growing so fast and so are the bettas.

#129 ·
Ok so I stained the white sponge in my filter blue from my meds but all the fry have it but it looks like its going away.

#131 ·
Can you take pictures of the fry?

I wanna see how the little things are going to look at (how old?)
1 week today :) Only one fry lost so far and that was 5 days ago before velvet showed up.

Their current tank:

SOME jars :p

Blurry fry pic (he's that blurry speck)

#133 ·
After I remove the dad I start filling it up and then by the next day it's full.

#137 · (Edited)
I've never had a problem with this method. Personally my fry always grow better like this. I'd NEVER fill the tank before they become free swimming because they will tire and die swimming back to the nest. Once they become free swimming I fill it. This works best for me, everyone does it there own way.

In my experience after awhile fry aren't really that sensitive, when I pour water in they get sloshed around a bit but are unharmed. They ARE sensitive but they can handle more than people give them credit for, though a new breeder might mess up big time and in which because they are somewhat sensitive they might die. Of course my methods are more advanced than any new breeder should attmpt. I simply state my reasons for filling the tank.

#151 ·
I might add 5 pennies in my tank because I'm starting to lose fry to velvet. Should I add them? I cleaned them really well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.