Betta Fish Forum banner

*sigh* It doesn't look good

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  doggyhog 
#1 ·
Remember I posted awhile back that Azazel had some sort of strange white spot on her body. Well, I've been treating her and besides the white spot, she has been absolutely normal. Now, I've noticed that she is bloated. Not from eating too much or a belly full of eggs, just her whole body is big.
She is still very active and eating just fine. I still have her quarantined and treating her.
I don't know if she'll just decline in health or bounce back, I've just never seen a fish bloat out and recover. I've got my fingers crossed for her!

#4 ·
Oh, I did post pics of it in this section and the best I could come up with is a fungal infection. I have been treating with Jungle Fungus Eliminator and aquarium salt. She has been in a half gallon quarantine, staying at around 78 degrees. I've been doing daily or ever other day full water changes.

#6 ·
Okay I had a similar problem (white cottony fuzz on a cory) yesterday and this is what I was told:

-There are two diseases which manifest as white fuzz: true fungus, and a bacterial infection called columnaris.

-True fungus is extremely rare and nowhere as lethal or fast acting as columnaris.

-Most of the time it is columnaris.

-It is really hard ot tell fungus and columnaris apart, so you are safer off to treat for columnaris first. If the fish doesn't improve with antibiotics, it means the infection is fungal, not bacterial, ruling out columnaris. So treat for fungus if it is not columnaris.

-I can't stress how important it is to treat for columnaris first. If you start with an antifungal, and the white turns out not to be a true fungus, your fish will most likely die before you realise he has columnnaris.

-I used Maracyn and Maracyn 2. It covers absolutely all the bases for both the columnaris and any secondary infections that may set in. My fish's fluff was gone overnight.

-Always finish the full course of antibiotics. If you cut the treatment off as soon as all the symptoms are gone, any remaining bacteria will become resistant to the antibiotics and then you're really screwed!

#9 ·
For Maracyn, dissolve 1 tablet in 10 teaspoons of water. Add one teaspoon of concentrate per gallon. Add one teaspoon daily of concentrate mixture. For Maracyn2, for one round, dissolve 1 tablet into 10 teaspoons of water. For first day, add 2 teaspoons of concentrated mixture per 1 gallon of water. For days 2-5 add one teaspoon of concentrate per one gallon of water. Hope this helps.

#14 ·
For Maracyn, dissolve 1 tablet in 10 teaspoons of water. Add one teaspoon of concentrate per gallon. Add one teaspoon daily of concentrate mixture. For Maracyn2, for one round, dissolve 1 tablet into 10 teaspoons of water. For first day, add 2 teaspoons of concentrated mixture per 1 gallon of water. For days 2-5 add one teaspoon of concentrate per one gallon of water. Hope this helps.

OMG I am so glad to hear that! I have been cutting it up into 5 doses like coke with a ruler on a piece of paper lol! I was going to ask and see if its possible to dilute maracyn without ruining it but forgot to ask!

#15 ·
Well, it looks the the bloat has gotten worse, she is getting pale and stopped eating. I'm going to make her as comfortable as possible. I don't think it will be much longer now for her. :'(

I'm sorry Azazel, I did everything I could for you. I hope you aren't suffering.

#19 ·
well mixing it will be a little tricky, but make sure u absolutely do the full length of time. my guppy tank had that and i almost lost every single fish i had from it( out of 45 fish i lost 30).

and make SURE you DONT use the net (or anything else) that you use with THAT fish with ANY other of your fish tanks. its highly contagious. as a matter of fact i got rid of the net i used for that tank and got a new one. columnaris is horrible and you definately dont want a repeat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.