Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding question

636 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tpocicat 
#1 ·
I have a little question I hope someone here can answer. I have a red dragon male and a yellow dragon female. Does anyone here know if I can get orange dragons with this couple? Or will I get only red and yellow dragons?

#2 ·
You will get reds, unless the red carries the non-red or yellow gene, in which case you'll get some yellows

Red + yellow doesn't = orange.

But unless you've seen the parents you won't know what genetics you have untill you breed them.

If you breed the red to the yellow then cross either a baby to the yellow parent or sibling, you should get ywellows in F2(even if the baby you picked was red)

#3 ·
Can you show us pictures? If the red dragon is not a "clean" color or has irid/white/silver rays, then it most probably carries non red genes and thus you might get orange dragons. But if it is a clean red dragon, then it will take you a few generations to get orange dragons. Like Bambi said- inbreed to the yellow drgn. IME, yellow, gold, and orange drgns are of the same line.

#4 ·
The red male isn't a "clean" red, there is some irid in his caudle fin, it looks as if he has a right pink stripe. Both are from Thailand, so I don't know about their parents.
Thanks for the info Bambi and Indjo!
I'll try to get pics as soon as I get new batteries/charger for my camera.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.