Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #11 
AGUILAR3

My cold tap water is at a stable 75F any time of the day. My room temperature tanks are 81 during the day and 79 at night.

(8:00am:78- 4pm:81- 9:30pm:80- 2:30am:79).

I'm in Los Angeles and I usually run a fan at night to keep cool.

Do I need a heater?

first pic is at 4pm (2.5g) and second pic was taken at around 2:30am (1g quarantine bowl)
Attached Images

AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #12 
Skuldane

Heaters provide stable temperatures all the time. It's better for the fish to have stable temperature. Just like with pH of water. It can be a little high, it's better if it's consistent. Consistency is always better.
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #13 
Skuldane

Plus it could change later in the year, your room temperature. It's a good investment. They aren't expensive.
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #14 
rickey
Banned

I spend a lot more time and money in central FL cooling my tanks than heating them. I have heater in a small faction of my tanks but they play only a small role here in temperature control.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

As long as you're carefully monitoring your temps, that small daily swing between 78* and 81* is fine. But I've lived in LA; I know it can get cold. If you ever sleep with a blanket, your fish will want a heater.

I know sometimes $15 feels like a lot, but a good heater lasts forever. And, well, it's a safety issue.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #16 
jadaBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalthySaurus View Post
Hmm, interesting. I didn't get a chance to respond to this last night because I had to sleep, but I ended up not putting my heater in the tank after I read this because
1) It's a bottom heater that sits under the gravel and would have been a pain in the ass to do it when I was that tired.
2) Balthazar seems really active in 74... And I understand what you're saying about a fish being too active in the long run.

I do feel like 74 might be a little too cold, I'd be much happier with a happy medium I guess, so I ended up buying one of those heaters jadaBlu linked. Perhaps with an adjustable one that's easier to use will be more help. Although I'm a little miffed I spent $20 on the bottom one... and now I'm probably never going to use it. I don't think I can return it, either. Oh well, I'll try find a home for it I guess.

Thank you to everyone for your responses and advice!
If have the box you could probably get store credit. Otherwise keep it sooner or later you may find yourself gettiing an "impulse' betta and need something to tide you over until another one comes.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
care, water temperature