Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Fish Stress

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Falina 
#1 ·
I have a ten gallon tank at work, with a blue betta, an angel fish, a fancy goldfish, and two tropical fish and I just notice my betta is not swimming around and stays in a corner or sleeping all day long. He is eating but away from everybody else. Is he intimidated by the larger fish?
Please advise

Thanks

#2 ·
Size of tank, water paramaters, and do you have a heater?

I'm afraid that is not a good mix of fish. The goldfish will get huge (12-24" long), and poop a ton. They are also coldwater fish, whereas your other fish are tropical. Your goldfish will not thrive in temperatures over 72, if not 70 degress. I would take him out.

I want to say yoru tank is too cold for your betta. They need temperatures of at least 76, but 78 is better. They get extremely lethargic if kept in cold water.

#3 ·
on top of what has already been said, 10g is much too small for an angelfish. a tank size of at least 55g would be appropriate for him.

I suggest you return the goldfish and the angel.

What are the other 2 tropical fish?

Is it possible he is being harassed by other fish, but we will need to know what kind they are before we can figure out how likely that is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.