Betta Fish Forum banner

Thinking about a sorority

583 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 · (Edited)
I have just purchased a 10 gallon tank for my Eponine. She is currently in a 2.5 gallon. She is my first girl (I got her a few months ago). I was going to just put Eponine in the tank alone, but I have been thinking about a sorority (I believe 3 would be max for a 10 g, correct?). Eponine seems to be a very aggressive girl. Would you put an aggressive girl in a sorority? I did plan to very heavily plant it, and put many hiding spots. Is that enough? Or should I just let Eponine be alone in her home? I would be devastated if she killed another betta, or got herself killed.

Oh, after rereading the sorority sticky it says no less than 6. Is that too many for a 10 g?

#2 ·
6 - 7 is about right for a 10 gallon.

As for the aggression issue, small "fights" are natural with sorority tanks. Chasing, fin-biting, and general rough-housing is bound to happen while the girls work out their hierarchy.

Typically, if one fish's aggression is problematic (e.g. killing or violently attacking other fish) she should be removed from the tank and kept alone. But it's very difficult to judge aggression without putting her with other females.

If you decide to do a sorority, you may want to add the most aggressive girl last. If you put her in first, she will most likely claim the whole tank as her own.

#3 ·
I do not have any other girls yet. I was thinking about setting up the tank and then getting them. I do not quarantine (I know I should), but I work at PetSmart (where I would be getting my girls), so I already kind of know the fish I am thinking about adding. Would I just get 5 at one time and add them all, and then put in Eponine? I kinda know who looks aggressive and who isn't.

#5 ·
For a 10 gallon, 4-6 is great. 4 is the exact minimum. Also, My sorority tank is almost complete. I'm just adding the tank mates in, the females are last.
I wouldn't risk getting an aggressive female. She would end up hurting someone else. I think she would chase all the other inhabitants even in a heavily planted tank, but it's only a prediction. If you do get a sorority, chases and nips are normal as the pecking order would be in progress like Red said.

IMHO, I don't think you should start a sorority with her.

#7 ·
Thanks for that. I am leaning towards not starting one. I do not want to risk anyone getting hurt. My girl tries to attack me through the glass. She flares and comes at it like I was another fish. So, I know she is extremely aggressive. It is what I love about her. I just thought it would be nice to "save" a few more girls from cups, bowls and vases. But, I do not have the room to have anymore tanks.

#8 ·
No problem. :) If she has that kind of personality, (She sounds like she's quite a girl lol) then I guess no sorority. :( But it's ok I mean, you want what's best for the fish. I also plan to rescue my females, but I can't get them just yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.