Betta Fish Forum banner

3 gallon Critter Keepe or 20 Gallon Tall Community

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Blazer23 
#1 ·
Hi i am looking to get a new betta and i cant afford a tank with a filter. So i have been thinking about either getting him in a critter keeper and get one of those small filters for it or could i put him in a 20 gallon tall community tank but my problem is that i didnt get enough black skirt tetras because i didnt want to overstock so i only got 3 of them and when i put my ther betta in there they attacked him and started picking his fins so i put him in another tank. But the one i am getting will be a halfmoon pkt , so he will have short finns.

Will the pick at his finns?

#2 ·
Hi i am looking to get a new betta and i cant afford a tank with a filter. So i have been thinking about either getting him in a critter keeper and get one of those small filters for it or could i put him in a 20 gallon tall community tank but my problem is that i didnt get enough black skirt tetras because i didnt want to overstock so i only got 3 of them and when i put my ther betta in there they attacked him and started picking his fins so i put him in another tank. But the one i am getting will be a halfmoon pkt , so he will have short finns.

Will the pick at his finns?
I have my one fish in a 3 gallon critter keepr and he loves it. :)

I hear tetras can be quite nippy when kept in small numbers...I would try to get a few more tetras and see if that helps....If all you have are tetras and a betta a 20 gallon it shouldn't be overstocked. You could also try returning the tetras and getting a fish that isnt quite as nippy...I hear rasboras are nice..I want to get a few dwarf rasboras eventually. I have corydoras in my 10 gallon and thy are very peaceful and get along with my betta.

#4 ·
:D
If you need a filter that doesn't cost much, just get a mini coke bottle and follow this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj1Glx5anfM&feature=related

Then the only thing you would need to buy is an airstone/pump. These REALLY work and you can hide them behind decor/plants.
It seriously does well, i've been using them for a while, I only stopped using filters because I was have complications with cycling...
If you don't have a pvc pipe, you can just go without it or find something else for the tunnel that fits and is safe. It would work better with a tunnel.
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.