Betta Fish Forum banner

Putting Tetras With My Betta Today Wish Me Luck

2K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Draug Isilme 
#1 ·
going to pic up some tetras right now kind of getting board with 1 fish in the tankk so wish me luck guys

#4 ·
Is it a male or female betta? I've never tried it myself, but when I was looking up tank mates, someone told me it's better to have a female betta so the tetras won't nip at their fins- apparently they're more prone with males since they have long, flowy fins...

#5 ·
Yes I definitely agree, although some tetras may be fine you never know. I saw tetras at Petsmart, that obviously were nipping guppies fins. Guppies have way shorter fins then male bettas and were still being nipped. I hope it works for you though. Is the tank 10g?

#11 ·
So I have you put them in yet? If not you could also get like 4 cories, only if your substrate isn't sharp though. Yeah, I went to Petsmart and the guppies fins were so bad from the tetras, but then again the betta will probably let them know it isn't okay lol. Just make sure there is enough cover for the tetras/betta to escape. And have a backup plan.

#13 · (Edited)

Attachments

#25 ·
Aww lovely. I hope the peace continues! Our local pet store has a betta staying in the tetra tank. Next time I'm down there I'll have to check out his fins; would love a 10 gal with bettas and something else and if he's all right in the overstocked tank at the pet store he may be all right in a properly stocked one at home.

Congrats!

#28 ·
Don't overstock you tank. Although a 10g seems big, it's actually the smallest tank you can have tropical fish in. I wouldn't add any more to that tank than a few shrimp :)

Another thing to keep in mind, you can't lump all tetras together. After owning a few types, they all have personalities. There are nervous nellies, nippers, calmer ones all based on type. My Black Neon Tetras have to be the nicest Tetras I've owned. My Red Eye Tetras are skiddish and nippy. My Glowlight Tetras are very skiddish but peaceful. I have never owned Neon Tetras and really I'm not quite interested in them lol But each type of Tetra has a different personality. Glad yours are working out!

#35 ·
Shrimp seems like a fine idea, but you might want to put more cover for the little guys. Good looking tank, btw, and the tetras really do add to the tank's look ^.^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.