Betta Fish Forum banner

Curling fins? Loss of appetite?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
My newest betta, Mogget, seems to have a problem with his fins... The tips are curling and he has stopped eating. I dont know whats going on. I heard that fins can curl when the pH/hardness is high (which mine is) but I though this only applied to crowntails? My dalmation VT, Sherman (who is living in the exact same conditions) is just fine and so is Bella, my female in the 10 gal.

Pics:
Before:

AFTER: (he's not normally this pale but he's VERY skittish and the camera freaks him out. He EASILY pales and gets stress stripes)

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 77F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes (tetra preset heater)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqua-culture pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlor

Water Parameters:
N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Curled fins - a little more pale
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Stopped eating. Not very active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A

Live Plants
- Java Fern
- Peace Lily (emmersed)

See less See more
#2 ·
the anal fin shapes way different O.O

#3 ·
BUMP

It got worse. Way worse. He ate this morning but I started noticing that he was acting 10x more skittish than usual. Every time anything happened (if I turned on the lights, got near his tank etc..) he would just thrash around his tank. I also found several open wounds on his body. It looks like the scales have rubbed off and I can see the pink flesh underneath. Im sure it's because of his constant thrashing and him hitting the rocks. I dont think its parasites as I keep his water clean (been doing 100% WC's every 2 days recently) and because he only "thrashes" when startled by any slight change/movement. I cant even feed him without him going nuts. It's like this fish has lost its mind. Nevertheless, I put in some coppersafe into his water (only anti-parasitic medication I have - did wonders for my goldfish). I will remove all the ornaments ASAP so he doesnt hurt himself anymore. Anything I can do? I really cant figure out whats wrong with him. If he is any worse tomorrow I will consider euthanasia :'( he look like he's in pain.

#5 ·
He freaked out this morning again when my alarm went off. He gashed his head open looked like a chunk was missing. At first I thought he killed himself but I could still see his gills moving. I immediately euthanized. I didnt know what else to do... he seemed to be suffering.

#8 ·
Oh my gosh! I am sooooo very sorry! I never saw this thread before now, I can't believe this happened. I'm so so sorry, that must have been very hard, he was beatiful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.