Betta Fish Forum banner

Crowntail nibbling his own tail?

546 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sythka 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

My crowntail betta, Inkblot, has been of late biting his fins a lot. It's not finrot, they're not discolored at all,, he's just chewing. He's an aggressive fish and bites me a lot, but why his tail?

I don't think it's because he doesn't have enough space to swim, he's in a two gallon long and he's a small little fish.

I've been dosing him on Bettafix (he has no lung reactions, thank god) and Stress Coat for a while now, but he won't stop. His water level is fine, so that's not the problem and he gets fed daily.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

#2 ·
My fish did it, but has recently stopped. Usually it is because they are bored. To help this, try adding more decorations. I like the floating betta log, but you could also add some live or silk plants and a cave. You could also hold up a mirror every so often and it will flare at its own reflection. Also adding some medication may help the tail grow back, or you could add some aquarium salt.

#3 ·
I've been giving him stress coat and betafix, both growth stimulants. I'll look into the log. He has a plant in his tank already, but maybe I'll switch it out for some smaller ones.
He just hurts himself when I hold up a mirror, he tries to break through the glass.

I hope I can fix it though, he's kind of my baby after nursing him through one of the most resistant cases of pop eye I've ever seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.