Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% once a week, 100% every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta plus conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? all normal

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? chunk missing out of tail fin and a little ragged along the rest of the tail fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no behavior change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, but I was thinking daily water changes and salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3 months

Donut has never torn his fins. I put him in this new tank and he's been in there for almost 3 weeks with no problem. He swims around a lot. I have live plants that are very smooth so no tail is catching on them. He had a filter but I have turned it off in case he got his tail caught in the filter. He has his tank heated. His fins had all grown about half an inch since he got his larger tank and no fin rot is there. Any ideas? I will post pictures.

See less See more
#5 ·
The ends are definitely feathery looking. Do you think adding some stuff to his tank would entertain him more and prevent this? He's never done anything like this before in the 4 months I've had him and only started doing it in his big tank...

Ammonia: this I haven't tested because I haven't gotten a kit for it yet (water was just changed 2 days ago)
Nitrite: Nitrate: I don't remember the exact numbers (I'm away for the weekend and my boyfriend is caring for him) but I remember they were very low... like (very light pink, barley pink on the strip test)
pH: 7
Hardness: soft
Alkalinity:

#6 ·
Okay well the test strips are inaccurate and unreliable, so that doesn't help too much.

Ammonia is an extremely important test kit to have, probably more important than the nitrite and nitrate. If your tank isn't cycled, you aren't going to have a reading for nitrite and nitrate anyways so they are basically useless.

It does look like something is irritating his fins though.

#7 ·
Ok, any suggestions of what to do then? I did the same thing for his bigger tank as I did in his smaller tank, even have all the same stuff in it (I'm going to get him more plants next week). I can have my bf test the water's ammonia with the liquid test but he couldn't do it until tonight.

Should I have him pull him out of the tank and set him up in a cup with salt water with daily changes until I get home?

#11 ·
Alright, I'll do that again then. Hmm, I'll have him float the cup in his old tank so he still gets to stay at temp. Thanks for the help, I'll post any updates to his fins. I guess I'll also up his water changes too that I've been doing to two 50% once a week and 100% every two weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.