Betta Fish Forum banner

Male and female!

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  beetlebz 
#1 ·
We bought two betas today, a male crown beta and a female. The care list from the store said they would be ok together in the same tank, just as long as the female was smaller and had smaller fins. I don't have any plants yet and he keeps darting towards her. Is this parting of the mating process or is he trying to kill her? Should she be removed or will plants help?

#2 ·
diamond_72387 said:
We bought two betas today, a male crown beta and a female. The care list from the store said they would be ok together in the same tank, just as long as the female was smaller and had smaller fins. I don't have any plants yet and he keeps darting towards her. Is this parting of the mating process or is he trying to kill her? Should she be removed or will plants help?
Welcome to Fishforum.com, Diamond.:wave:

I would certainly not mix the male and female. If the female refuses to spawn or they finish spawning, she will be killed by the male. The male is best kept by himself unless you are ready to breed them which will require constant monitoring.

#4 ·
Also- if you are planning on breeding them, keep in mind that you are going to have hundreds of fry, and you'll have to separate the males out into their own individual containers for months while they grow up, which means a LOT of tanks/bowls to water change weekly/daily (depending on size) And make sure you have people to take all those babies before you start- a lot of LFS won't give you enough money for the fry to make it worth your while.

Good Luck

LeeAnna

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.