Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #1531 
ellekay

Are you kidding? My husband made me sit down and watch the ENTIRE series in one day with him. I bought him Serenity for his birthday the next year. He has his bi-annual Firefly marathon coming up soon I expect :) I love Zoe and Wash...and was very mad at the end of Serenity. Love Nathan Fillion, in everything though :) One of our Platys is named after Kaylee :)

And thanks! I might have a slight addiction to planted tanks now... :)
ellekay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #1532 
ellekay

@lil, if you were to trim the dwarf hairgrass, would it still survive? I'd love a plant that looks more like actual grass, but doesn't get super tall for my foreground.

I may eventually need to know where you got the light. I have a Tetra 1.5 cube as well, but it has silk plants in it right now.
ellekay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #1533 
sanjiandfriends

Hey Guys. I've got a Dumbo Betta. His name is Sanji. He is in a Fluval Spec V. Substrate is a mix of Flourite Black and Dark. Just some red crypts, anubias, java fern and dwarf sagg. This is just the most appealing layout I've come up with for this tank. Amazing to watch while high, and it's on my night stand. So I can fall asleep and wake up to this beautiful sight.
Attached Images

sanjiandfriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #1534 
hoofbeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekay View Post
Are you kidding? My husband made me sit down and watch the ENTIRE series in one day with him. I bought him Serenity for his birthday the next year. He has his bi-annual Firefly marathon coming up soon I expect :) I love Zoe and Wash...and was very mad at the end of Serenity. Love Nathan Fillion, in everything though :) One of our Platys is named after Kaylee :)

And thanks! I might have a slight addiction to planted tanks now... :)
Well, of course ya have to marathon it once in awhile, lol. I went and saw Serenity on a whim years ago (not knowing there was a series before it) and got hooked. Nathan Fillion is great. My fiance and I like to watch Castle these days - not quite the same, but we get a good chuckle when they sneak in a Firefly reference now and then.

And yes, the addiction is real, haha. I started with a single 5.5 gallon planted tank, and then it was 2, and then 3....even my last 2 remaining non-planted tanks have taken on some water lettuce (thanks to lilnaugrim for that!)...it has merrily sprawled all over creation in every tank I have now, lol.
hoofbeats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #1535 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekay View Post
@lil, if you were to trim the dwarf hairgrass, would it still survive? I'd love a plant that looks more like actual grass, but doesn't get super tall for my foreground.

I may eventually need to know where you got the light. I have a Tetra 1.5 cube as well, but it has silk plants in it right now.
Yes, it would survive. Those particular blades that you cut won't grow any more but the plant itself will keep growing and it will grow bushier with trimmings. It's a very slow growing plant even with soil based tanks. I highly urge you to get lots of root tabs or have a soil based tank if you want dwarf hairgrass, that and lots of patience. It does well in medium-high lighting, it won't do anything in low lights.

The light comes from here: http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Sola...solarflare+LED
The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have an "on/off" switch but it's on a timer so it's fine for me :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofbeats View Post
And yes, the addiction is real, haha. I started with a single 5.5 gallon planted tank, and then it was 2, and then 3....even my last 2 remaining non-planted tanks have taken on some water lettuce (thanks to lilnaugrim for that!)...it has merrily sprawled all over creation in every tank I have now, lol.
hehe, happy to feed the addiction any time
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #1536 
Aqua Aurora

6.1g bow front and 7.1g cube

3g bubble bowl, >0.5g vase, and 2g cookie jar

>0.9g cube

55g Riparium

I also have a 20g long but its just an anubias qt right now not really 'planted'
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #1537 
Nautilus splendens

New tank, New fish!

Well I've been working on setting up a true NPT for about two weeks now, and just yesterday found the perfect fish for it!
After recently tearing down a saltwater oyster reef tank and giving away my three fish, this 10 gallon is now home to Gemini, a wild-type king betta.
The little fellow got his galactic name because my other betta is named Nebula, and just last night/this morning I watched the geminid meteor shower with some friends (and it was AMAZING considering what horrid light pollution we get around Houston).

So, without further adieu, here's Gemini exploring his tank after I transitioned him.
He definitely has the characteristic king old man/puppy dog face:D
As for plants, I've got a previously melted and regrowing crypt, an anubias, and I forgot what those tall spriggy plants are called..
Attached Images

Nautilus splendens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #1538 
Aqua Aurora

Got news for you, king bettas are not "wild type" they are part of the betta splendid family and far from wild as they are specifically bred by humans for maaaaaannnnyy (human) generations (easily thousands of betta generations) to achieve what you have. The Splendid family also includes but not limited to: cronwtail, veiltail, plakat, rose tail, feather tail, elephant ear aka dumbo aka big ear, hm delta, super delta, double tail, kind and giant betta.... I'm sure I'm missing a few
But that's a nicely set up tank, plenty of places to explore. Hope you did the nylon test on the hard scape (wood/rock) in there to make sure it won't shred fins.
I see what looks like an amazon sword in the back left? that's going to need moved directly under the light, its too shaded from the photo I see of it. Its a medium light plant. Do you have proper plant growing bulbs of the generic florescent that come with a 10g hood?

Last edited by Aqua Aurora; 12-14-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #1539 
Nautilus splendens

Hah, oh don't worry, I'm well aware that he is not a wild betta. I was merely describing his coloration that's often called "wild-type": a dark blue or green with a hint of iridescence and red coloration on the fins that is very common with king bettas sold at Petco. It's kinda sad because they often look very dark and bland next to their flashier VT/CT/Det/DT whathaveyou varieties in their cups, but once you get them in some clean, fresh water they really look wonderful. This coloration is known as "wild-type" because a wild-type phenotype is the one that most often naturally occurs in wild specimens. It is thought that this wild coloration was reintroduced to captive bred B. splendens by incorporating genes from B. imbellis.

But of course! I've studied this site for quite some time before putting this tank together haha.

If you're referring to the plant in the back right, no worries; it's hard to tell in the first picture but that plant was sold to me as a narrow-leaved anubias and its rhizome/roots are located behind the rock as you can see in the second picture of Gemini hiding in them. I think the placement of it will be beneficial to the plant as anubias requires low light.

The hood is homemade with a fixture that is actually a 10,000K actinic bulb used for reef tanks, as that is what this 10g used to be. I know 6,500K is the best for optimum plant growth, but it seems to be working well enough for the plants I have currently.
Nautilus splendens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #1540 
Aqua Aurora

Ah k I did not know of that coloration name, that's cool! I see that's the anubais in the second photo, looked like a huge leafed plant in the first.

Tags
bettathanyou