Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Questions about age?

My male betta, Patriot, is full grown. Or at least, that's what someone on here said. But lately, he's been acting kind of lazy. He eats fine, his eyes aren't cloudy, his scales look right, and his fin rot is gone. I'm starting to wonder if maybe his age has something to do with it? His water is warm. His heater keeps it at 82 degrees. I don't think he's sick, but he's being lazy and just sits at the bottom of his tank or in his log. I don't know what would be wrong with him.

At what age do healthy bettas typically pass on? And about how old is a betta when they're full grown?

This question also applies to my Tiny Tina. As her name implies, she's tiny. Like, really tiny. I don't know if she's just a baby or what.

If you guys can, I'd like answers for both male and female bettas, as I'm sure ages might vary based on gender. Thank you in advance. :)
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #2 
registereduser

Bettas can live anywhere from one up to seven years old, maybe even longer.

Where did you buy your fish? If from a Petco/Petsmart type store then he was probably 4 months old or so when you bought him. When they arrive at the store they are still young but old enough to have full fins and colors.

My first betta ever recently died at about 1 and a half years old, he was from Petco. He was also a "big ear" betta so I wonder if his genetics were weak or something. In his last few weeks he was active and eating as usual but his fins started to split and his color got dark.

I also have a sorority and my biggest female is 2 inches long. My smallest full grown female is half that. Some girls are just smaller than others.

If you think your male is not acting right, try lowering the tank temp to 79 or 80 and see if he reacts. What size is his tank? Some like more room, some like to be cozy
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Bettas can live anywhere from one up to seven years old, maybe even longer.

Where did you buy your fish? If from a Petco/Petsmart type store then he was probably 4 months old or so when you bought him. When they arrive at the store they are still young but old enough to have full fins and colors.

My first betta ever recently died at about 1 and a half years old, he was from Petco. He was also a "big ear" betta so I wonder if his genetics were weak or something. In his last few weeks he was active and eating as usual but his fins started to split and his color got dark.

I also have a sorority and my biggest female is 2 inches long. My smallest full grown female is half that. Some girls are just smaller than others.

If you think your male is not acting right, try lowering the tank temp to 79 or 80 and see if he reacts. What size is his tank? Some like more room, some like to be cozy
I got him from a local fish store. All of their bettas are healthy, but his body even looks full grown. I saw plenty that were half his size in Petsmart. My Tiny Tina is from the same LFS though, and she is like, not even an inch.

Patriot is in a 5 gallon. He used to be in a 4 gallon, but I got him a tank with a filter and stuff. I don't know if he likes all the space, actually. His tank was 79 degrees, but he was still sluggish then too, so I made it a bit warmer to see if he improved, but he hasn't.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #4 
Myates

How often and the % of water do you change?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
How often and the % of water do you change?
About 50% every Monday and Thursday, and a 100% monthly if necessary. He has a filter too.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #6 
angus

Can you test his water? That's the only other thing I can think of to check.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #7 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus View Post
Can you test his water? That's the only other thing I can think of to check.
I don't think anything could be wrong with his water. Tiny Tina is fine and my sister's fishes are all fine. We use the same tap water and add the conditioner to it. I don't have a test kit though. But if all the other fish are fine, I don't get how just his could be bad. :(
Old 02-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #8 
angus

I don't know...it was just a suggestion. Sorry I don't have any other ideas.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #9 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus View Post
I don't know...it was just a suggestion. Sorry I don't have any other ideas.
Thank you anyway. I will get a test kit and see if his water is okay.