Betta Fish Forum banner

I am most likely getting a SORORITY! help?

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Min 
#1 ·
Hi! Yup my birthday is on the 18th and ive been nagging my grandpa ( hes in charge of pets lol) and he is finally saying "maybe" which basically means...YES!!! So i have a 17 gallon aquarium with a cave and lots of hiding spaces ( the plants are eaither plastic or silk one is rreal. and yes two of the plastic plants are sharp and i will remove them once i get my girlies!) I will try to post pictures today. ( if not soon) I have a few questions however... first i know i need to have no less than 4 bettas for the sorority but what is the maximum amount i can have in a 17gallon tank? How many pellets should i give at feeding time? I have a bubbler ( the bubbles are small that it makes) and a filter which is outside of the tank but sends a small but steady waterfall of water into the tank. Is that okay? ( the filter will have to stay but since the tank is so big i think the "water fall" wont matter) One last thing... is there anything special i need to do to my tank or for my bettas? ( i am removing my current inhabitants see my signature for them and btw one neon is blind and very skiny i may put him down...i dont want to but i dont want him to be miserable or spread disease if he has one) Thanks!

#2 ·
#4 ·
Ok get the most healthy females and then put them in (I reccomend floating them overnight so they kinda get used to each other) and then put them in. Be sure to provide a LOT of hiding places.

#5 ·
Never had a sorority before, but here's a shot.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=16&AquTankDepth=8&AquTankHeight=10&AquListBoxFilter=Aqua-Tech+5-15&AquTextFilterRate=15+&AquListBoxFilter2=Choose&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA+&AquFilterString=Shrimp&AquListBoxChooser=Ghost+Shrimp+%28Palaemonetes+sp.%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=8&FormSubmit=%3C+Remove&AquListBoxSelected=10+x+Ghost+Shrimp+%28Palaemonetes+sp.%29&AlreadySelected=200909300017%3A1%3A%3A%2C200909300079%3A10%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=F&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short

Play with this to see your stocking options

You'll probably need a LOT more plants - and this means pretty darn tall ones, too. Maybe not too overboard with plants, but again, never did a sorority before.

With the pellets and feedings, you'll have to experiment with that and learn each betta personally to see how they eat and stuff. You eventually just learn how to feed them successfully, etc. I feed mine two pellets per meal, so see how that ties out for you. Good luck!

#7 ·
my grandma said no pots :( but i will get more tall plants and i have one big cave so ok. thanks guys! One more thing: How many females can i have maximum in my 17 gallon?

#10 ·
In case the girls don't get along.

You could have a maximum of 8-9. Not that many if you already have other fish in there. Go by the 1 inch per gallon rule.

May I ask why not pots? They cost about 80 cents a piece.

#11 ·
Like back up tanks - or at least, get ready to get back up tanks with filters, heater, the whole deal for them. I understand if you don't want to get it if there's a chance it won't happen, but don't be surprise if you need to get it.

#12 ·
ok thanks for the clarification. Now nobody has answered this question: How many girls maximum can i have in my 17 gallon tank?

#14 ·
thanks dramaqueen!!!!! That helped me so much! Is there anything i need to do to my tank before i get my girls? just so i am 100% ready.

#16 ·
Btw, doggyhog already answered the question. And yeah, much much more plants, especially for the higher region. Floating plants are a good idea, like someone mentioned before. And hiding places.

#17 ·
lol i just was going through replies and i banged my head on my desk and laughed when i saw doggyhogs reply...i can be such an airhead!!! Anyways, thank you all for the AWESOME help!!!!!!! I cant wait till march 18 SORORITY HERE I COME! ( or possibly a new tank? or divided 17 gallon? the possibilities!!! :D ) Lolz thanks again everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.