Betta Fish Forum banner

Has your betta changed colors randomly?

816 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  sandrac8388 
#1 ·
So i know when you get a betta they change colors and all because they are in proper conditions. But I've had Zorro here for almost 3 months and this color change is random! He had gotten more blue first and his color became beautiful. He "was" a piebald and now I don't even know what he is lol. He is still a beauty! He has more black on his tail and face. Mind his dorsal fin...it is just blowout from excessive flaring..he is very territorial!
First day home:

First color change:

about two days ago:

See less See more
#2 ·
My VT male has changed colors dramatically. When I got him back in April/May he was a very pale pink & depending on how the light hit him, green, purple, blue with a hint of burgundy. I moved him from a 1g, unfiltered & unheated container to a filtered, heated 10g tank. His colors darkened. A few weeks ago I thought he was injured just behind his head on the top but realized he's changing colors. His head is now almost completely burgundy, his body is darker & his fins have gotten much darker & depending on the lighting they are a beautiful burgundy. I can sit & watch him swim around for hours, the way his fins flow & the way they change colors. I hate to play favorites, but he is my favorite male.

#3 ·
Hey there,

Bettas may change colour for a number of reasons, firstly they are usually kept in less than ideal conditions in petshops and therefore they are ususally very pale and colour up considerably if placed in suitable conditions. Most bettas do change their colour throughout their lifetime this colouration change may be so mild that their owners may not even notice it!! or it may be dramatic which is especially common in some varieties such as the 'marble'. In the case of your betta I would consider the colour change completely normal as he was a 'piebald' which is a form of marble. Colour change can sometimes indicate disease however if your boy - who is very beautiful by the way- is acting completely normal then I wouldn't be worried about him. When ever you buy a marble betta it is a bit of a lucky dip because their colour is always changing throughout their life. Anyhow hope that helps :)

#4 ·
Your betta is a marble, which means he will be changing his color all throughout his life. A common joke is that it's like having a new betta every couple of weeks.

Otherwise, bettas tend to change once you bring them home and they get comfortable/feel safe in their new environment. Not drastic per se, it does happen.

#6 ·
Thank you guys! I was like "whoa!!!" when i woke up to feed him that morning! LOL. When i see a color change I immediately look for signs of sickness but nope. He is just an active little piggy! XD I love having marble bettas !! Now if I could only find a marble elephant betta! Lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.