Betta Fish Forum banner

I dont know what he's doing...

1K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  SKA123 
#1 · (Edited)
my male betta keeps blowing bubbles from his body, and swimming around the top of the tank, and wiggling around. And I'm not sure but he seems to have maybe a tiny lump underneath his gills. His head seems like it's gotten a bit big. But he does flare, so he's able to move his gills.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? In the 70s
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, but the room is hot, and i do have a heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He lives alone.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? I feed him, about twice a day maybe 3-4 pellets only.
Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week, 100% water changes.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tetra water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his head has gotten a little bigger, and i'm not sure but there looks like a tiny bump.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's blowing bubbles from his body, and is wiggling at the top, then it looks like he's chomping at the water. then he'll stop moving and then keeping repeating his blowing bubbles etc.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? no...
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that i know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? i dont know.

Also now that I'm looking at pictures of male betta's on the internet it looks like they all have this sorta bump on them. i mean sorta like this:
like on this betta he has a bump around the dark scales of his body.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
it's sorta like he's blowing bubbles and the bubbles are attached to him, and he's trying to build one but he cant seem to get the bubbles to stick together. then it kinda looks like he's attacking the bubbles O.O. he's only hanging around the surface of the tank. he has been flaring though. maybe he's bloated? he's been swimmin in circles kinda then resting. but he's moving around the tank. sigh.

#10 ·
Yeah, skip a day of feeding (a good thing to do once a week anyways!) and he's playing with his bubbles.. sit back and enjoy =)

Then don't feed him in the morning, and see how he is tomorrow at dinner time.

#11 ·
okay i wont feed him tomorrow. lol i guess im just worried about him. he's swimming in little circles with bubbles attached to him. he ate like a pig when i fed him. i guess i'm just worried cause yesterday he was staring at his reflection and going up and down in the tank and swimming around and today hes at the surface attacking bubbles and yea....

#16 ·
i dont know. he was curious with it, he would rub up against it and hide behind it. and i cleaned his tank yesterday and i found poop, the same color as his food, and i plan on not feeding him tomorrow, just to see if that will help. i kinda get the feeling he might be trying to building a bubble nest. also i put in front of him a picture of another betta and he flared so i guess he's okay. lol i dont know. :(

#18 ·
lol maybe lol. maybe its that time and he's looking for a female to spawn with. lol i just hope if that's the case he doesn't get depressed that he wont have a mate.

#19 ·
MY betta's now been swimming on his side. He's he just bloated or something??????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.