Betta Fish Forum banner

Wont eat

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Help! I bought a crowntail male from petco on Monday. I have him in a one gallon minibow aquairium. The guide I have says to feed him only every other day. I waited a day before trying to feed him anything. He has not eaten yet.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Sometime it takes a few days for the bettas to adjust and ready to eat. He has probably been through a tramautic time and will take a few days to eat. also, for the first two weeks, i would feed my betta, and it seemed as if he never ate. though he must have sometime. Now he is adjusted well and i can watch him eat. So give it more than 2 days...

also, the bubble nest thing, that takes a while as well. Again, he still has to adjust. Some bettas just don't bubble nest, some do. Usually it means they are ready to spawn (is that the word?) and maybe he isn't ready to. also it will probably take at least 2 -3 weeks for him to make a bubble nest at least.

some feed their bettas 2 times a day, some everyother day, i feed mine 1 time a day and occasionally twice a day.

Get him out of the 1 gallon tank asap! look for at least a 2 gallon tank, no matter what is said they do NOT require a filter and a heater. It is nice to have them, and they like them, but the fish won't be unhappy, will make bubble nests and won't die if their tank falls under 80. mine is room temp, about 72-76 degrees and he seems happy and makes bubble nests.

Good luck with him!

#6 ·
New here. My beta fish spits out food

My newly bought beta fish spits out the pellets after chewing on it for about 3-10 seconds... I have seen it doing this twice already. It also spits out the pellets when I'm not watching. Is this normal for a new beta fish? Is it still getting used to the new environment? Should I be worried?

Or maybe I'll try feeding it in the morning again and see what happens...?

Thank you!

#7 ·
im not a fan of bettas and am not %100 sure on there upkeep but i would try some frozen foods like bloodworm,brineshrimp,culex etc and feed smaller amounts daily over every other day these are far supierior to most prepered foods in nutritional value and are readily taken by all the fish ive had regardless of species , i would also recomend a larger tank 5.5g preferabe over anything lower i dont think its posible to have a stable aqarium in anything under 5g and a larger tank would allow for some invert tank mates(snails,shrimp)

#8 ·
Its normal for a new betta to not eat for the first few days. He's still getting used to his new home. You can also feed him freeze dried or frozen bloodworms, daphnia or brine shrimp. These foods should not be fed every day, just as a once a week treat. The freeze dried food should be rehydrated before feeding.

#12 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. He seems to have acclimated know. I switched him to freeze dried blood worms and he is eating those and seems to have gotten more color all of the sudden. He was slightly smaller than the rest of the betas at the store so he may still be a little young wich is why I chose him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.