Betta Fish Forum banner

treatment for epsom salt.

600 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
back from 4-day trip! i just bought epsom salt today because my fish has a big belly. -_-
how much do salt do i put?

#2 ·
What other signs/symptom does he have beside the big belly.......is he still eating and pooping, any buoyancy issues, lethargic, clamp fins, hiding...etc....

You don't want to confuse a normal large tummy with bloat and treat needlessly

What size tank, filter, live plants, additives, water temp, how much and how often on the water changes, appetite, tank mates, how long have you had him and has he ever been sick and/or treated....

Can you post a pic....

#4 ·
he's eating, but i can't find poop in his tank. no lethargy or anything.
right now i'm fasting him, since his belly worries me.

i have 2 gal. no filter or live plants. API water conditioner/stress coat. 50% every other day, 100% once a week. 3 pellets/2x a day. had him for 2 weeks so far.

#3 ·
you can go up to 3tsp per gallon safely.

#5 ·
If he is otherwise acting and eating like himself.....I would only hold food for 24-48 hours max-otherwise you can cause the system to slow too much and then offer small frequent meals...often the reason for the enlarged tummy is more related to poor quality food that is high in grains/grain byproducts and/or amount being fed.

In a 2gal unfiltered without live plants-twice weekly water changes-1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.