Betta Fish Forum banner

Got some cherry shrimp for my tanks!

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  alidawn15 
#1 ·
Some background info first..
I have two bettas, one is a regular (I can't remember the term :-?) betta male named Fishy (very original, I know..haha) that is red with the very tips of his fins blue. He's very docile, loves to make bubble nests and generally just hangs out.
The second is a crowntail male named Sparky that is mainly red, with generous amounts of purple and blue. He's pretty aggressive.. he flares at everything, makes small bubble nests and is very fidgety.
Both are in their own 1 gallon tanks with a light (I have to alternate the light.. the bulb on the other tank top blew within an hour of getting it!), rocks, a plant and decoration each.

I bought 3 cherry shrimp today for a total of $12.. Pretty steep since I wasn't sure how it would go over for the fish..or the shrimp!
I figured the aggressive betta would get one shrimp, since he may be more likely to kill his tank mate..and the other would get two.

Well, I put the shrimp in the tanks and the Sparky ignored his new tank mate!
Fishy, however, proceeded to stalk one of the shrimp and watched it scamper around for a bit before he decided to chase it!
Luckily, the shrimp was too fast for him and kept escaping.

About an hour or so later I came back to check on them and lo and behold, Fishy's shrimp are still alive and well..
and sadly, Sparky's shrimp is lying on it's side in the tank. Seems Sparky noticed it and decided it would be a fun toy... I checked again 4 or so hours later.. Fishy still has both shrimp alive..and Sparky's shrimp is nowhere to be found! I guess he ate him :-( No more tank mates for Sparky!

See less See more
#2 ·
Im sorry to inform you, but one gallon is really too small for just the betta by himself. He should have at the very least 2.5 gallons. And adding shrimp will only up the bioload. If i were you i would go and get a ten gallon tank and divide it if you are short on space. Ten gallons are pretty cheap actually, most places have them for under $15 for the bare tank, and you can make dividers for less than $5. Ten gallon tanks are much easier to maintain, and you can also add shrimp.

#6 ·
I agree with what is said above. I'd also like to add that unless your house is always a constant 78-80*F, then they really should have heaters too. IMO, if you are getting shrimp, I'd get them both 5 gallons, this way you can cycle the tank and make water changes easier and smaller ammounts (50% each week). Cycling will also make your water quality stable, which is important for shrimps since they need stable water parameters and removing them for 100% water changes once a week would be a pain in the butt.

#8 ·
I'm going to pick up 2 5 gallons or 2 10 gallons so I can comfortably house a betta in each with a couple shrimp.
Though I don't think Sparky would do well with any.. I'll have to see.
Fishy lost one shrimp that night, but the other is doing great and Fishy leaves him alone. Can't wait to get them bigger tanks :)

#9 ·
In a ten gallon the betta probably wont even know the shrimp exist if you give them lots of hiding places and plant it heavily. Plus, your fish will be much more active.

Please dont forget a heater! That is the most important thing!! We cant stress this enough.

#10 ·
Absolutely! :-D
Unfortunately, it seems Fishy decided the shrimp would be a good snack..
I found it at the bottom of his tank dead.. and missing both it's eyes! :shock:
I don't think I want to know what Fishy did to it.

#12 ·
Hornwort is also a good suggestion with shrimp. I have a big piece of it and if the shrimp are nowhere to be seen it's a good bet they're "hanging out" in it. I've had two groups of six already, and I'll keep getting them. The first group died, because of delays in the delivery of my plants. However my betta is such a fighter that he looked at the mirror on my powder compact for five seconds and then swam away without doing anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.