Betta Fish Forum banner

New to Betta Fish

827 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  asimonsays 
#1 ·
On a whim I got a pair of Betta fish (both males and both in their own habitats). Ive had other fish before but ended up with them because someone else was no longer able to care for them so I dont know a whole lot about what fish need. Tonight at the WalMart they had the 1.5 gallon Tetra LED Aquarium Kits on clearance for 5 bucks a kit. I picked up two of them thinking that I would put my guys in those since that is bound to be better than the .5 gallon kits they are in now.

My questions on this might sound stupid and for this I apologize in advance.

1. There is no heater in this kit. I live in a desert environment and my house stays pretty warm (80ish degrees til the winter months a little cooler at night). Do I need to get a heater for these tanks or are they going to be ok for a bit? Their current tanks do not have heaters in them and they seem to be ok.

2. These tanks have a small filtration system that doesnt seem to be too much of a current. Is this going to be ok for them? I have read some of the threads here and people seem to be back and forth about filtration systems and what to get. These came with a what appears to be charcoal based filter cartridge. My last fish tank used a sponge type filter and I dont know if one is better than the other.

3. Should I use some of the water from the old tanks when I put these guys into the new tanks? I plan on changing their water at regular intervals but I dont know if maybe there is beneficial bacteria that I could be missing out on transferring over to the new tank if I dont use some of the old water in the new tanks.

Again, I apologize if this has been covered many times over. I rather like these two Bettas (one crown tail and one dragon scale crown tail) and I would like to make sure that they do well in my care. Any advice would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
As long as the temperature of the tank stays the same it is okay to not use a heater (but I would get them one for the cooler months).

I use a sponge filter because other filters knock my baby betta about and my 2 adult males don't have a filter because I haven't gotten them one yet but they have been doing fine (I've had them for like 2 months).

#3 ·
Get a thermometer to make sure the temperature stays between 76* and 82* (less on a daily basis).

What kind of filter is in the kit? A tank that small can be cycled, but it's not easy, so don't worry about it. For now, just change the water two or three times a week (75% or more). Use Prime water conditioner (if you haven't purchased any yet}.

Read all the stickies. Ask more questions.

#4 ·
Thank you HallyX and xxRho.

I set the tanks up after doing some more reading and let them stabilize to room temperature. Both of my guys seem to really like the having more space and the current doesnt really seem to push them around. These tanks have the LED lights in the top so I can now see just how pretty these guys really are.

Ill be getting a thermometer for each tank this evening and after checking their water from the original tank I think probably heaters too. The water seemed a bit cooler than the recommended temps and I want these guys to stay healthy and happy.

Right now I have Betta Bowl Plus by Aqueon because where I got these guys from had a special running on that. Is that going to work for them for now or should I change that ASAP?

As for feeding, I am using Aqueon Betta Food (same thing place had a deal on it). Ive read a lot about different types of foods. Live food, frozen food, pellets, flakes etc. Ive had goldfish before and I dont want to mess with flakes since in my experience with goldfish that was pretty dirty pretty quick. Im thinking about getting something of a treat type food for once in a while treats. Anything I should especially watch out for?

Ive seen Betta hammocks and rings but Ive never actually seen one in use (other than some of the pics here). Are they really beneficial to the fish or is it something I can hold off on? Im sorta fixed income so most anything outside of what the fish needs ASAP is going to be gotten here and there so Im making a list of things that I need, should have, would like so I can start figuring out what I should be getting.

Thanks in advance for any help with making sure Fric and Frac are happy and healthy. Im really digging these two fish and hope to be able to provide the best living conditions I can (within reason of course).

#5 ·
D'oh, forgot to answer about the filter. Its a whisper filter from Tetra. What looks to be a charcoal type cartridge. Ive been looking around at the different types of filter media and thinking maybe I could do a sponge but I dont know that this filter system will work with that.

#6 ·
My betta loves his leaf hammock but it isn't essential (it's more closer akin to "enrichment") so I'd put off on getting it.
Some silk or live plants are good for their well being because betta's need spots to hide to make them feel safe and something to explore to keep them mentally occupied. Also don't get plastic plants because they have a tendency to rip betta fins and remember to check all decorations/fake plants for sharp edges.

#7 ·
Welcome Warm Weathered Friend

Good evening asimonsays. I too live in Florida which has a warm climate like yours about all year long except for the cooler winter months. So far Rusty, my male betta, has lived so far without a heater. I do put his tank light on for a few hours just to give that extra warmth that bettas thrive in. I got the Zoo Med Betta thermometer at PetSmart (I know that some betta owners gave it a bad review) but so far Rusty's temperature has remained a steady 79-82 degrees since I have had him. When you get the chance please post a picture of Fric and Frac. We just love other betta owners to show off their pet fishes in their tanks.

Here is Rusty showing off in the limelight. His redness just glows. Don't forget to get a water test kit (to keep track of water quality and aquarium salt just in case one of your betta fishes gets sick.

Attachments

#8 ·
My betta also loves his hammock, and any plant leaves near the surface. They seem to like to lounge on something with easy breathing access.

I also feed mine thawed bloodworms one by one with a pair of tweezers so there is no leftover food in the tank. He practically jumps out of the water for them. He also loves a bit of pea once in a while.

#9 · (Edited)
I have water test strips (thats the only thing I can get here locally if I want something else Ill have to wait until I drive up to Tucson). I can get thermometers and heaters at our local WM but they are a little limited since its a smaller store.

After watching Frac in his tank I think I may have to turn that filter off. It seems a lot stronger than the one in Fric's tank and Frac doesnt seem to care much for it. I might be able to get some sponge filter stuff and slow that down. If WM has it Ill grab a bit and experiment with it.

As soon as I can get a better pic of these two in their new habitats I will post them.

Edit- Fric is in the top picture and Frac is in the bottom picture. These were taken the day I got them. Ill try to get some better pics of these two as soon as I can get a chance.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Rather than a hammock, spend the money on an Anubias (or other floating plant) to float in your tank. Provides hammocks, shade and hides. Money spent on plants is never wasted. Get more. Get a cave/hide (coffee cup etc).

You might get some Omega One or New Life Systems pellets (Betta size), a better quality food than Aqueon food. Good suggestion from Anubias: get frozen bloodworms or mosquito larvae for treats. They like variety. Aqueon conditioner will do for now.

The API freshwater master test kit is available from Amazon for ~$20--to measure your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Get some Prime and a thermometer and you'll get free shipping.

Your filter is a Tetra 3i. It's technically a sponge filter because it uses an air-pump to pump bubbles which circulate the water through the filter. Unfortunately, it's a really bad design; the water does not flow through the filter media/pad/cartridge, only over the top part. I wouldn't use it unless your fish actually enjoys it. For Betta purposes, a filter is more for cycling than anything else.

Eventually you'll want to cycle a larger tank or two for your fish to live permanently. In the mean time 2x weekly water changes will have to do. Ask about cycling when you have (a) larger tank(s).

#12 ·
Hi and welcome aboard!

I just wanted to mention, if you want something for your betta to rest and play in, there's a mesh tube you can make with craft mesh and fishing line. Sort of an inexpensive betta log. ;)
There's one here in Cirrus's critter keeper.

#13 ·
Thanks a ton guys :) I really appreciate all the awesome advice. There is so much more to Betta care than what a lot of pet places lead you to believe. Im actually really looking forward to getting 2 bigger tanks (Im thinking 2 10 gallon tanks) so that I can put plants and maybe a few other fish and/or snails in with the Betta.

I get paid again after the 1st so Im thinking I might go up to Tucson and look around at a couple of bigger tanks and see what I can do to make these guys happy. I know that the local Petsmart has some neat plants and other things that might go good in a Betta tank so I might actually go check their stuff out. I havent seen any tanks I really like there (well at least not that I can afford and that wont cause the husband to blow a head gasket LOL) so I will be checking out craigslist and a few other pet shops to see what else is available. If anyone has any recommendations for tank brands to avoid it would be much appreciated. I really want to get good tanks and at some point possibly move into keeping other fish but for now these guys are keeping me pretty entertained.

Again, I appreciate everyones advice and thank you so much for not being snarky about all the noobish questions. I am so glad I stumbled upon this community :)

#14 ·
I hear you with the prices of tanks! They can be so expensive!

I don't know what the brand of tanks I have is but I scoured local internet classifieds all the time because you can get lucky with a cheap 2nd hand tank and still have money left over to buy other stuff =]

#15 ·
xxRho, I was thinking much the same thing. I have one 10 gallon tank right now but it was converted many moons ago to hold a Tokay Gecko. I dont think it would be cost effective to get the hood and all the other things for it, but I dont know. Im thinking maybe a couple of used already setup for fish tanks and then I might be able to afford more plants, snails, a few fish to stay with the Betta (although Im skeptical on this kid sister tried that with bad results even though the fish she got were listed as being ok with Bettas). Worst case I find a couple of 10 gallon tanks and the Bettas get a bigger habitat with lots of neat stuff to play with lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.