Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? divided two betta tank

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes, they wont take pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20% or so
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? seachem safe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: very high (as in off the charts of the API test lol)
Alkalinity: same as above

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? both betta's left gill cover is stuck open and there are white spots on the gill covers. However it is not ich and the white spots are flat and almost look like sores.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it hasnt
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Did a super clean of the tank (not that I dont clean it well), I added some paraguard.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? unknown, Ive had them both for about 6 months, I would guess that they were 6 months + when I got them.

So yeah, above describes but for the lazy I will summarize (haha), both bettas in my divided 10g have their left gill covers stuck open and there are white patches on the gill cover, not like ich, they arent fuzzy, they are flat spots that almost look like sores. At first I thought it could be ammonia/etc burns but I treat my water well and my tests indicate water quality is fine. Any ideas would be appreciated. Nothing in their tanks have changed, their decorations are not sharp etc. They do spend some time flaring at each other but it isnt constant and I dont think that is what caused this.

See less See more
#4 ·
IMO, it does not sound like Velvet.

Velvet disease causes the fish to be covered in a fine layer of what looks to be gold dust. The fish will typically be flashing against objects and have clamped fins.

Perhaps this is Gill Hyperplasia? Not sure what the white spots could be, sorry.

Take a look at this link and see what you think -http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/gill-hyperplasia/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.