Betta Fish Forum banner

API Bettafix question

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  bettafish15 
#1 ·
Hello,

I haven't had a betta that has had some type of bacterial infection yet (a miracle to be sure) after caring for them for 5-6 years. I just got a male that had some white cotton fuzz at the bottom and figured he'd be fine with some new water since none was present on him yet. He's doing great still: eating, swimming, active. He's just got a spot of fuzz on one of his pectoral fins.

I was wondering how well bettafix worked and if it would harm my betta. I didn't have good results with the last betta medicine I used and it nearly killed my old betta. This time I figured I'd ask some opinions first before using it.

Thanks!

#5 ·
^ What she said. Maybe try doing 1 teaspoon a gallon of aquarium salt, pre mixed in another container for ten days? You need to do 100% water changes daily for that treatment, but because he's in what he came in you should be doing 100% daily on that size cup anyway. Do the salt treatment for no more than ten days :)

#8 ·
I'm guessing it's maybe a quarter gallon tops, so I'm going to do a little less than a 1/4th of a teaspoon just to be safe. I think I'll add some of the aquarium salt to the rest of my tanks too. It's pretty good for a preventative for some common diseases right?

#9 ·
No, dont add it to other tanks. It should only be used when a fish is actually ill and in a quarantine container. It doesnt work as a preventative, the fish will get immune to the salt over time, so when you do need it, it wont help. Also, it simpy isnt good for the fish's body. That is why it's only used for a max of ten days.

#11 ·
Do you all agree that aquarium salt should not be used as a preventative? I've been tossing in a pinch after every water change. I guess I'll stop doing that now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.