Betta Fish Forum banner

Ripped fins

960 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Luimeril 
#1 ·
My betta always had some rips in his fins when I got him 4 months ago but just yesterday there is a huge rip in his back fin that is completely new. I dont know if that is fin rot but I need to figure out what to get him in order to keep him ok. Antibiotics? more water changes? He is in a bowl not a tank. It is also not filtered but i keep it pretty clean and use stress coat and betta revive. He also has a heater that keeps the water 78-80 at all times. There are no plastic plants in his bowl only silk. Here is a picture.
Thanks for your help! :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't tell if the edges are dark or not, that's usually the best indicator of fin rot. Frequent water changes, daily is best, to help stave off fin rot. Depening on what size bowl you have, you may just be able to do daily water changes, just remember to keep the water close to the same temp, and use dechlorinator.
You could use API stress coat instead of the dechlorinator, it can help promote fin growth. I use it hen my boy chews his tail.
AQ salt is another option, 1 tsp per gallon is the dosage. With salt treatment daily water changes are needed to keep the salt from building up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.