Betta Fish Forum banner

How to Drop Ammonia Levels

682 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jessiepbg 
#1 ·
Before anyone says it, this particular problem doesn't have anything to do with water change frequencies. The water from my non-softened tap always shows .25 ppm Ammonia and more than 0, but less than 5 ppm nitrate. The nitrite is always at 0 though. I use Prime in the concentrations suggested on the bottle, but my water still never reads less than those numbers. How do I get that out of there?

#2 · (Edited)
The Prime converts ammonia to ammonium which is a much less harmful version to fish but can still be consumed by cycling bacteria and plants. It will still show up in testing though so use the reading from your tap as a Base line and measure from there.

I tend to have a similar problem, my tap water shows ammonia in very small quantities, no nitrite and under 5ppm nitrate. I just treat with prime and make sure I do the recommended number of weekly changes.

#3 ·
Yay, that's good to hear. I was wondering why the test listed both NH4 and NH3+ under ammonia. Thanks for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.