Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #21261 
Tress

I heard that some of the chain petstores refuse to hire anyone with a degree, especially one in animal care. I think they just want the ones that believe the "general knowledge" so that they get more money and don't have to pay them as much.
Tress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #21262 
rubbie5837

Idk, maybe petco. I know quite a few of them at petsmart that have a degree or are in school getting a degree.
rubbie5837 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #21263 
Strawberry12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tress View Post
I heard that some of the chain petstores refuse to hire anyone with a degree, especially one in animal care. I think they just want the ones that believe the "general knowledge" so that they get more money and don't have to pay them as much.

plus1 (plus sign key doesn't work haha) I can attest to this. They flat out told me that was why they weren't hiring me.
Strawberry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #21264 
rubbie5837

Wow. I didn't know that. Isn't that against equal employment rights or something?
rubbie5837 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #21265 
Strawberry12

at least here in MA, there are only laws about hiring practices regarding discrimination- race, sex, age, etc. I suppose it's no different than choosing not to hire someone without a degree, just...opposite. And slimy.

Today's rant- Went to a bar for my friend's birthday, and they cut us off after two drinks. Whaaaaat?
Strawberry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:33 AM   #21266 
Tress

whaaaaat, I don't drink but even I know that isn't really fair. Did they maybe mistake you for other people that had had more?
Tress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #21267 
PrincessKassXo

Went to petsmart yesterday looking for a possible new betta. I inspected all the horrible little cups and most of them had ick. Fun rot. Parasites etc. the cups in the back were clearly ignored and not clean. You could see they had swollen gills and could barely breathe. A few dead ones. Then went to petland and the Bettas had tiny cups with heavy flowing air stones. FULL AIRSTONES IN A MIG SIZE CUP. The poor guys were being blown around and half of them were dead. I got really upset. Yelled at them and left. My boyfriend was pretty angry as well so he got in touch with a breeder in town and we will be picking one from his group. I hate pet stores. OH and the lady at petsmart told this little girl who wanted to get a betta and a 5 gallon that it was way too big for him and he needed something way smaller. I stepped in and corrected her. She also said he didn't need a heater. I corrected her again and she asked me to leave...
PrincessKassXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:29 AM   #21268 
Nyri

Today was supposed to be a big step for me and my anxiety... first time going out without my fiance in months. That went to crap.

We have one car, so he needed it to go to work, so he took it... then at work he's a catering driver, and once he's there, he drives a different car for the restaurant. The plan was for him to pick me up on his way back from his last delivery, which was a town away or something and take me to a wedding while he went back to work.

I made it out of the apartment (yay), and like to two driveways away from where the wedding was (yay), but there was a poor dead dog in the road, freshly hit... there was another dog playing in the front yard nearby. Someone was stopped right behind the dog, presumably the person who hit him trying to find an owner or something... anyway the sight of the dead dog really threw me. I see dead animals in the road all of the time... including pets, but it's been a while since I've seen one that freshly killed... and it made me start thinking about how sad it was, and worried for the second dog that was nearby, and how I'd feel if one of my dogs died or if I accidentally hit a dog on the road... but the wedding was right there and I didn't have time to recover from it.

We pulled into the driveway, and everyone started walking toward the car (more likely because it is from a popular cafe here and they wanted food than anything to do with me) and the crowd freaked me out even more, and I started having a panic attack so I made my fiance drive us away... past the dead dog again... and of course since he had to be on his way back to work, I had to ride with him instead of go home. I felt so bad for not going to the wedding, and that there wasn't anything I could do for the dog, and for getting the people's hopes up about catering, and for making my fiance go out of his way for me. He's really trying to help me get over this and I just keep messing it up
Nyri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:25 AM   #21269 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Don't beat yourself up. People who love you understand and you probably expect far more of yourself than they do. You have to start with baby steps and it sounds as if you did. This is just a minor setback; you'll get back out there when you are ready.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou