Betta Fish Forum banner

Information on what to do with the male????

854 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  damo2904 
#1 ·
Yesterday I put my blue veil tail & his missus back together for there second date lol, they've spawned & the eggs are cooking nicely in the nest with the female removed & the male standing guard.

Now last time i did this, once they hatch, this particular male one the fry were hatched & fell from the nest, the male ate them ALL!!! :cry:

I don't know what to do this time....do i remove him once there hatched or leave him & pray to good he doesn't do it again?

I know your suppose to keep the male in there until they can free swim but i dont wanna lose another batch when ive worked so hard again trying to get this time right.

Help & suggestions would be fab. :-D

#4 ·
well the eggs hatched yesterday, i managed to see one wriggling around so i presumed the fry was hatching.

Now today i can't find or see anything.....:-?

Are the fry really that small? the male is still protecting the nest but I can't see nothing, no tails hanging down? r they really that small?

I guess will have to wait until they can free swim to know if theres actually any in there? :|

#6 ·
Didn't realise they would be this small, my partner saw them last time before they were eaten, i was at work. Now am here this time i have no idea what am looking for....?

Well as the male is still guarding it, im going to take it there is something there so will keep everything as it is.

I've got some liquifry, but i dont feed them until they are free swimming, thats right isnt it?

how exciting, i hope i do have some babies, mostly i want them as my male whose they are, is getting old & i want to do a couple generations of him because he's my favourite boy, & my first ever betta of my 12 boys!!!! :lol:

I love Grumpy ................god I'm sad aint i, declaring my love to a fish. LOL!!! God they do silly things to us don't they! hehee!

#7 ·
Right well......so this is whats happened.....

Tuesday - Spawning, eggs cooked for the rest of the day, female removed & male standing guard.

Wednesday (Day 1) - Male stands guard most of the day, then late afternoon, early evening, i can see the eggs moving, and presumed they were hatching. Male is fed so he wont eat any fry.

Thursday (Day 2) - Male still guarding bubblenest. Nothing visible, no eggs, no tails. Fed male to keep him happy.

Friday (Day 3 TODAY) - Male still watching. Nothing still visible. I'm shining a torch around the nest, & can honestly see absolutely nothing! No tails.

....what to do? do i just give up & let male recover, wash tank & presume it didnt work?? should they be free swimming by now, its 3 days after they should've hatched.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.