Betta Fish Forum banner

Baby Betta Growing

4K views 86 replies 12 participants last post by  Goldie2nd 
#1 ·
Well my Baby Betta that I got Nov.21,2012 is growing in size what I don't get though is not showing any colors it still has it's Horizontal stripes. Is there anything I can do to help it change to colors instead of stripes or do I just wait 3 months or so before it does change colors. I am doing daylie water changes and feeding it three to four times a day a varied diet with Frozen Brime Shrimp included.

#2 ·
Its great that he is starting to grow, thats always a good sign, but you've had him for less then two weeks and he was probably no more then 6-7 weeks old when you brought him home......just be patient. ;) It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job with him, just keep doing what you're doing and give him a couple of months. He'll start to get some colors and shed those Camo-stripes in about two or three months. :)

#3 ·
The change tends to be pretty gradual, and especially for females those stripes take a very long time to go away. With fish who end up with lighter body colors, they take even longer :p Bettas with good varied diets show the brightest colors, so you're doing everything you can with that. Just be patient. I have a 5 month old betta who still seems to be coming into his colors :)

#6 ·
Some Bettas have stripes as patterns. I have always had the idea of buying Baby Bettas raising them then selling them on aquabid or here.

#8 ·
You should be able to get a good idea of their gender I'd say about two or three months after you get them, but they could still surprise you so you may not completely know for sure for about four months or so......not factoring in the 4-8 weeks they could be when you get them.

The stripes aren't really a color pattern. When bettas are young, the stripes are meant to be a camouflage, help them blend into their surroundings. As they age and grow, these stripes disappear and generally only re-appear on females and young adult males of darker coloration when they are stressed.

#17 ·
When your betta will develop color will depend on it's genetics.

Having a varied diet DEFINITELY speeds things up.

My betta fry started to develop color on the edges of their fins around 1.5cm long.

I also have one, that's 1.5cm & has a angelic white coloration on it's body, but it's ventrals are red.

I'm not sure what foods you're providing..... but this is a list of some of the tiny critters mine have eaten since day one.
  • infusoria,
  • amphipods,
  • daphnia,
  • water fleas,
  • finely minced dragonfly larvae,
  • 3-5 different types of aquatic worms,
  • snails that they hunt themselves,
  • mosquito larvae,
  • dozen or more near microscopic things, I haven't identified.

In the past week, they've FINALLY decided to eat the typical commercial fish food which is phenomenal. Thanks to the adventurous larger siblings, the little bettas have learned by watching the others gorge themselves that the various bits floating on the surface are completely edible.

• Those of you that own baby bettas, measure their growth weekly by the centimeter or millimeter if you want to be more precise.

#19 ·
He is sooo cute! One of the baby betta's me and my friend bought is around 4 months old, and he got his color around when he was about 2 months old! Just give it time:)

#22 ·
If you have any spare, put some more plants in the tank.. it may be feeling a bit exposed and therefor may keep it's camo stripes a bit longer. Also, the water is probably pretty cold for it as I see no heater and warm water is a must for baby bettas to survive and thrive. Would look into it when you can :)

#25 ·
Hey all good news my Boyfriend got me a 1g tank for my Baby Betta I got pictures but the site was not allowing me to post them they uploaded but it did not submit for some reason so I contacted the Admin to see if they can work it out. Or let me know what to do. But still is progress and I will buy those NLS soon I was just not feeling well yesterday my ribs are hurting it's hard to move around much.

#28 ·
I will get his new food soon just could not do it yesterday my ribs hurt too much they seemed to have been fractured so there is only so much I can do right now for movement I set up the tank though and I would not know where to find good live plants for his tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.