Betta Fish Forum banner

So excited!!!!

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  beta novice 
#1 ·
I'm literally starting to vibrate with excitement :lol: I've got almost everything ready to spawn. I picked up a cracked 10 gallon for $5 at a thrift store that I'm going to glue up. I'm about to leave to pick up a 29 gallon that I'm getting off craigslist for $25. I've got some hornwort and I'm ordering a LOT of java moss. And of course I have Sid and Nancy!

All I really need is jars (which I'm still deciding on), a couple heaters, stuff to DIY a sponge filter, and fry food cultures.

I've been reading and planning and learning how to breed for almost 2 years now.. I'm so ready to give it a try!

I want to keep at least one male from the spawn and maybe 2 females. I'm getting first pick and I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll get at least one male that looks like Daddy (who will be living with my Mom after the breeding :-(.. he is her fish after all).

I wish I could put everything together and start the spawn tomorrow! But I need to get some food cultures going. I think I'm going to do BBS, microworms, and white worms. Still not sure yet.

LOL I feel like a kid during the weeks prior to Christmas!!:lol:

See less See more
#12 ·
Thanks guys! I picked up the 29 gallon and cleaned it out today.. its perfect. All I need is a good heater and a sponge filter and it will make a great grow-out tank. It was such a great deal too, $25 and not a scratch on it. Like I told my mom, it was less than $1.00 a gallon.

I'll be sure to let everyone know when/if I start selling the fry. I know I'm keeping at least 2 and my mom may want to keep some for herself. I'm hoping its a decent size spawn (about 20-30 would be perfect) but not too big.

DH.. how big were the containers you saw? We're considering 1 gallon square jars from wally world that are about $2.50 a jar. I'll have to swing by my dollar store and see what they have.

#13 ·
I dunno how big you want your jars to be, but their were plastic quart deli like containers with lids for a dollar a pack. 3 per pack. Then there were lots of others. My mom always teases me about looking at storage bins and food containers when were in stores.. LOL

#14 ·
Haha.. I do the same thing. My roommate always teases me because I say "oh.. I can put a fish in there!"

I'm hoping to have 1 gallon jars. That way if I have fish I can't find homes for at least they'll be in a somewhat large "tank". The females will all be staying in sorority in the 29 gallon unless I have some particularly aggressive ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.