Betta Fish Forum banner

why are pet store females sold so much younger than males?

673 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Pogthefish 
#1 ·
the title pretty much says it all. every female i've ever seen in the store is TINY (less than three or four months old) whereas the males are usually six months to a year. i'm curious as to why this seems to be the norm.

#2 ·
I read the answer once on a website, but I can't remember what it said. I'll see if I can find it.

#3 ·
I wonder if they always try to sell the females at a younger age because when they get bigger they will usually not look as flashy as a male.

First female I ever bought grew up to be a very pretty little PK female. The store clerk had told me she was just a very tiny, young male. She was my first PK and first female so I didn't have a clue until she got her egg spot.

#4 ·
Hmm.....you know, I'm not completely positive, but I have a theory.

I think its not so much that they sell the females young as that they sell the males old. I know most Petstore males are 4-6 months to a year because thats around when their flashy, attractive colors come in making them, obviously, easier to sell. However females, as lovely as they are in their own way, generally aren't has bright and flashy and colorful and don't have the long flowy fins like males......so there is no reason for the breeders/suppliers to wait to send them into the store. They can get rid of the females a lot quicker, so they do.....kind of like the baby bettas really.

Thats just my theory at least. xD

#5 ·
Well, I can't find that article, I'll keep looking though. It was a really good explanation actually written by someone who used or still does to work in the petstore industry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.