Betta Fish Forum banner

heaters and filters for bettas

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  nav2008 
#1 ·
do you have to have filters and heaters for your betta? because my betta fish lived for about 3 or 4 yrs and he didnt have one. also a lot of stores have fishbowls for bettas but they dont have filters or heaters. i need some one to untange this mess for me.

#2 ·
It is strongly recommended that you get a heater and filter. I live in a dorm room that is constantly at about 85 degrees, so I don't use a heater because it would make no sense.

If your betta lived for that long without one, then you did something right, so I would just say do whatever you've been doing.

#3 ·
i use filters in both of my 2.5 gallon tanks, mostly just to keep off protien film because i was sick of scooping it out with a spoon. i only have a heater in ym male's tank cos for some reason he lieks his water around 80 degree farenheit. my female doesnt have one cos she lieks her water between 73 and 78.

#4 ·
heaters depends on where you live and the temp, if you can keep it stable in the high 70s then they should be fine, filters... depends on how often you do water changes. i have 1 big tank with a filter and 2 small (2-2.5 gallons) that do not have filters, i just do water changes (50%) weekly in one and every 4-5 days in the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.