Betta Fish Forum banner

Behavior/Disease Question

418 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Myates 
#1 ·
My betta eats normally but for the past week or so he stays vertical. If you tap the glass or anything he swims fine and flares up fine. Can anyone help me with what may be wrong?

Thank you,
Jennifer

#3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forums..

A few questions, as being vertical can be caused by a few different things.

What size is the tank?

What is your cleaning schedule? And what % do you take out each time?

Do you use conditioner?

Is the tank heated? What is the temp?

To me it sounds as if possibly he is cold.. is there anything else going on with him like bloating or changing color? Fins look okay?

Also, is it happening just once in a while or is he like that all of the time? Could be he is also napping, and when they do sometimes their tails dip and they look like statues..

#5 ·
1 gallon
2-3 times a week. I change all of it, I put him into a glass cup, clean it add conditioner for bettas and re-fill it back up. It is not heated. Once I had added some more warm water he is a little better but right now he is verticle again(it may take a few to change). I notice it about a week ago and it has been off and on during the day but I did notice the water seems colder than normal.

#8 ·
In a 1 gallon it is recommended to change the water 1 50% and 1 100% a week- as sometimes your water can become too clean (if you would like a little more detailed info on that I can post it).

And I agree, a constant warm temp would most likely perk him back up- fluctuations in the temp (such as day/night) can cause him to feel stressed, lethargic, etc. A 10-15 watt heater would be ideal for your tank size to keep it a constant temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.