Betta Fish Forum banner

What do you think Lil' Blue is?

807 views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  kjnewcome 
#1 ·
I'm thinking Lil' Blue is a Male VT but I'm not sure. What do you all think?

See less See more
#4 ·
Here is the an egg spot (ovipositor) looks like: http://www.oneworldinternetcafe.com/betta/ovipositor1.jpg

It is that white spot on its belly that shows if it is a female or male. I should say that is the easiest way for beginner betta owners to tell. More experience betta owners can tell other ways.

#5 ·
It's hard to tell, without it's fins spread out. Why are it's fins clamped?

Also, the ovipositor is not a reliable way to tell the sex. Baby males have those too as they're like "camouflage" to fool other males they're a girl; either that or something else that's similar. And, that is the case right here.

#9 ·
It's always been like that? :/

That means he's stressed. Tank size? Temperature? The thing I usually tell people is, if you can't get the necessary supplies, then don't get the animal. Please, don't get any more until you have bought the supplies for this one.

#12 ·
I have the proper supplies, I would have never bought him if I didn't. I knew from the get go that babies were a lot more fragile so I made sure he had what he needed. He's in a 3g tank with a temp of 78. I don't mean to come across as rude but I'm in no way stupid or an irresponsible fish owner. I've had bettas on and off for over 15 yrs. I've just never had a baby before and I didn't know how to tell the sex/type. I'm not sure why he would be stressed, he is very well taken care of. I just assumed that babies didn't "flare" because they were babies.

#10 ·
3 months of clamped fins ain't a good thing. a veiltail should always have his fins clamped. No betta should have their fins clamped if taken care of.

#17 ·
I agree with Lebron when he said to raise the temp. Do you have some IAL by any chance? I think it will help. My baby betta from petco looked exactly like that when I got it. I kept it in 86 degree water with IAL and he was fine within a week. Goodluck with that little guy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.