Betta Fish Forum banner

How often and what % of water must be changed

732 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Lena N 
#1 ·
How often and what % of water must be changed in very small bowl (1,5 liter)?

I read in internet in some cases Betta's survived small bowls for long time. I need them to survive just untill bigger tank will be settled.
What is your advice about water changes in my case?

It would be nice to hear also from those who did have small bowls.

And also is it reasonable to use AmmoLock in small bowls?
Thank you.

#2 ·
I do not have a small bowl now. My smallest is an one gallon. But I used to have a .2 bowl and gradually I moved up. I changed it completely once a week and my fish still thrives. Other people do different things. Some might disagree and say once every three days or even two or for longer than a week, but if your betta is sick then I would do a complete water change. If not, then you can just do a half water change, or if you just want to be safe, then do a full change anyway.it really depends on what you want to do.( also on how dirty the fish is) I'm sorry I don't know what ammolock is, -but it is a water conditioner right?- I use betta safe and it works great for me. I highly recommend it.

#3 ·
I had a little guy in a bowl for three weeks until his tank was ready, and I did a 25% water change on Tuesdays, 50% on Thursdays and 100% on Sundays :D But that was just working around my own schedule.

I am unsure about Ammolock, I only used dechlorinator.

#4 ·
alwaysaBettaLover Hello, thank you.
No, as water conditioner I use Aqua Safe. Ammo Lock converts Ammonia into not hurmful Ammonia.
I changed 100$ yesterday to one betta(Cherryk) and did 50% for another(Blueno).
So second ball Ammonia reading is 0.25 today, it was 0,25 before water change yesterday.
So I am really confused what is best way to change water.

#6 ·
I have two 1.5 gallon tanks that get 50% every other day and 100% every two weeks on the weekends. If I do more my mom makes a fuss. xP

#7 ·
He is alive today and healthy, other than some fin issues due to my being gone for two weeks and no water changes with snails in the tank :/ Not happening again! XD At least with him I knew what a water change was, my first boy was in the same little .5g tank and didn't have a water change for a month! But he's alive now, with WRECKED fins I might add, but happy as ever! :D

Good luck with yours, I hope you enjoy him!

#8 · (Edited)
DreamerHorse Thank you for answering. First I did 30% every other day, after I made 50% every other day. But later I read about 100% daily change for small bowls, and was totally confused.
Of course your tank is much bigger.

Elsewhere Thank you for wishing luck. I have never had Aquarium before.

Great your Betta is alive and healthy! He is lucky guy. Hope his fins will heal 100%. I wish mine could hold on untill larger tank(5G) with filter, heater and plants. I know 5G is not much but at least a hope for survival. I worry all the time now while they (I have two Bettas)are in small containers. Though I try to keep them warm (keeping room temperature), I was very confused about water changes.
Maybe you could recommend what frozen food is better and more safe? I want to start feeding them frozen food but do not know what to get.

#9 ·
Invest in a 2.5g, if you have a PetSmart near you. It will make your betta and you life easier with WC frequencies. Also you will have a decent size QT tank if something your fish is sick without crashing your main tank that you are getting ready for.

#12 ·
Otterfun Thank you!!! I really love my Fluval 5 Spec.
Though I do not see if filter really sucks everything in. I see flow from the pump though. I turned it on today first time.
My boys can't wait. Especially Blueno hates often water changes being in small tank...very stressed each time.

Chipped my new Fluval today.:cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.