Betta Fish Forum banner

55 Gallon divided into 5 sections for Betta boys!

5K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  secuono 
#1 ·
So I have decided to go ahead & turn my spare 55 into a big tank for my males. One day there might be 6, but for now, it is only 5. I am not moving Kenji out of his 90gal unless the Angelfish get to him. And if they don't, I can buy a new male for the 55! Valor is moving out of the section in the 20gal long sorority tank, this will give the girls more room & me more room to add 2-4 new ladies!

Kyle Jr, Valor, Amai, Lemon & Flame will each have about 10 gallons!

I have made a pre-filter/screen for the intake of my 110 Aquaclear, since I know the suction will be far too strong for them. This gives about an inch & a half of space on all sides from the intake. I will put in the 20-30gal turtle filter on the left side, the AC is on the middle right. Hopefully for the summer the 150watt heater will be fine, I will toss in my other small heater in the Fall.

I took a few setup pics, had to make my own filter media, kinda ghetto, but the fish don't care unless it doesn't work!

Anyone else have a bigger-than-normal tank for their Betta?
What do you guys think? I will be taking pics of the filter media later on. Betta may go in tomorrow or I will wait longer. I'm not sure if I should cycle it with that filter or just add the other filter too & keep up w/c until things even out. The second 10gal does not have a filter, that's why it's always getting cloudy, but the fish do well.

:D
________
This is the 20 gallon long. Right side is Valor's section.

Here are (L to R) Amai, Kyle Jr, Flame & Lemon's current tanks.

On the ground with an inch of water. Yes, that is the garden hose coming through the front window.

This is the intake covering. I used two Betta cup lids, 2in of craft mesh & rubber bands to hold it together. In time, I will have to swap out the bands, but it should hold great for at least 3-5 months.

Here are a few shots of the tank filling up & last pic is full with flash to show intake & background. It will be planted with sand, but I think I will keep the background, it's kinda nice. I am hoping to get 2 bags of sand and make it a good, deep sand bed. I am aiming for 4in, but I'm sure it will end up only 3.

See less See more
#12 ·
It's kind of hard to tell in these pics, but here are two of my tanks.
This is my ten gallon divided three ways.
Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

Here is my 20 gallon long tank.
Aquarium Table Room Furniture

This is the best pic I could find showing an acrylic wall. The downfall is you have to drill enough slots or holes to have a decent flow of water.
Drawer Gas Glass Metal Steel

#10 ·
Got new pics! Enjoy.

So here is the filter, craft mesh, curtain, towel, 2 rough rocks & 1 A size Marineland filter pad.

Here are the two 10's, I rinsed them out. Not sure what I want to do with them. I may fill them with water and leave them be.

And here are two pics, top with Betta in their cups & bottom with them free in their new homes!

#14 ·
In my last pic, first left section has a heater and little filter. On the right, 2nd section, is another heater and much larger HOB filter. That white thing mid way down is the intake.

I have had Betta go over and munch on their neighbors. Lemon attacks Flame & Kyle Jr. got beat up by is next door buddy who has since passed away. All have healed long ago. But the only way for them to get through now is if I change out water and not watch the dividers or if the fish grew 20x in size.

I have not silicon-ed them in place because I do not know if I will have to move my last male also. I would rather not, since this would make the sections quite narrow.

#15 ·
I have not silicon-ed them in place because I do not know if I will have to move my last male also. I would rather not, since this would make the sections quite narrow.

This is the dilemma I am facing with my 50 gallon. It is pretty deep, almost 18 inches, if I divide it into seven or eight sections, they will still have over 6.5 gallons of water. It's just that the viewing space will only be 6-7 inches.

#19 ·
Gallons-size in Inches-empty weight-full weight
10 Leader- 20 1/4 x10 1/2 x12 9/16 - 11 - 111
10 Long - 24 1/4 x 8 1/2 x12 5/8 - 16 - 116
10 Gallon -24 1/4 x12 1/2 x12 3/4- 21- 170

50 gallon is 36 7/8 x19 x19 5/8Inches. If you divide this tank into 8 sections, you will only have
4.5IN.
36IN long divided into 8 sections would make each only 4.5IN wide!

#25 ·
Well, Lemon lost his noodle, had to toss him into the 20 gal with the 8-9 Platy.

PhotoBucket went stupid & messed up the pic. But here's the filter. I got sick of the Bamboo in my way.

Here is the 20gal Lemon lives in with his new buddies.

Here is what I did with the two 10 gallons. First tank has a root that I will turn into a tree in one of the Betta sections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.