Betta Fish Forum banner

Will my Betta's side flippers grow back?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Mohan85 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I tried to breed my red salamander butterfly halfmoon male with my white platinum halfmoon female who is a tad bigger than him.. now they were doing fine lil chasing and nipping, everything look normal and then they started wrapping.. but she was too large for him and after a few tries i decided ok its not gonna happen and i took him out and put him in his tank.. i saw that his tail was nipped a little bit and thought it was nothing and then as i looked closer to find that his side fins had been torn.. his flippers are almost gone! she must've nipped at it! i am horrified and i feel horrible! will his side fins/flippers grow back??

#3 ·
By flippers, do you mean the little fins that are always flapping away? Those are the pelvic fins and although it's unusual for them to get injured, it does happen in situations like yours (ie, breeding). They should grow back within a week or so but during that time, be sure to keep the water clean with extra water changes and maybe use some aquarium salt to minimize the chance of infection. If you have it, Stress Coat will really help too. If your guy seems to have trouble swimming without his fins, maybe lower the water level until they grow back.

#4 ·
yea its the fins flapping on the sides next to the gills, i can't believe she ripped both of them off.. but thank god it'll grow back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.