Betta Fish Forum banner

My cousin got a betta... he's two.

3K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  shmifty5 
#1 ·
He picked out a white girl with very light pink fins that make her appear to be Cambodian, almost.
She's been named Flower, for now. But, he's two years old, so it won't last long.

I feel horrible, and I know that his mom either won't want to take care of her or will take her to their house and let her die, most likely.
I already have 3 boys in my ten gallon, but I don't want to have to watch the girl live in a tiny, dirty vase while they are in the tank.

I have two dividers form the store in the tank, but one is clouded and opaque. The other is clear and still usable.

I need ideas for a divider that will run the length of the tank to make it into four sections. I would like to use the remaining divider as the division from front to back, but if it can not be used with a DIY divider, I will be open to making a four way instead.

Any ideas on a DIY 4-way divider for my ten gallon?

#18 ·
me too. i mean buy the kid a turtle or even a dog that it can play with

edit: but have the parents take care of it until the child gets old enough:roll:

#6 ·
you could take her one day when you know they've stopped checking on her. they might not notice till days later and just wonder where it disappeared to. XD
If they ask about your "similar" betta you could say you just picked it up at a shop and call it by a different name. =P

Edit: then again I don't think I'd have the heart to do something like that. =P

#11 ·
It's at my house, and I'm taking care of it, but it's in a tiny vase and I'm not supposed to move it at all. I feed it and I'm gonna have to clean it, but I'd rather just have it in my tank. I still don't know how to make a four way divider though.

And I'm planning on some changes when I move, if I do.
I'll get 2.5/3 gallon tanks for my boys and make the 10 I already have into a sorority with Flower, who is most likely going to end up as mine, anyway.

She's doing great so far, though. She is really happy and curious in her little vase. She likes making the thermometer bob in the water. She'll be fine as long as I take care of her.

#13 ·
sounds great! you could propose a plan that you would keep the girl in your big 10 gallon and whenever he came over he could see her! and tell him shes still his fishie and he could feed her when he came over

#15 ·
thats great to hear! just watch her and when the little cousin shows disinterest be like "i will take her off your hands" :D

#16 ·
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, cuz the first thing he wanted to do was put her in my tank with the boys. Our grama is a little grouchy towards the idea, thinking I'm gonna not let him see her, but he even knows better than her.

I'm sure she'd be okay in her own ten gallon while I found 3 or 4 other girls to go with her....
That plan is totally fine with me:)

#17 ·
sweet! glad things worked out or atleast you have a plan to get her better care!

#20 ·
well, you know, im younger than 10.

#22 ·

#23 ·
I'm 13, and I'm sure you know what the fish needs and are responsible enough to not kill them or anything like that. But I'd say 8 is risky, but 7 is really REALLY dangerous. Under 7 is unheard of to me. I can't believe how dumb my grama is.

#24 ·
O_O...

#25 ·
I am 10 (almost eleven) and I too believe a kid 0-6 should not have a fish.:-(
The child will do something stupid like flush it down the toilet because the fish should be free. Parents don't think about the fish only the child.o_o Poor fish!

#26 ·
haha i think people should just need a permit to own a betta. Theres a lot of adults that dont even care for the fish right.

#27 ·
My niece has two bettas and she is four.

#33 ·
lily, wouldn't a better solution be to maybe educate your aunt and maybe volunteer to help care for the fish?

I agree that a child that young is incapable of taking care of the fish by himself, but it can certainly be a learning opportunity for him and perhaps time for you and he to bond.

I don't know that I'd immediately assume that your family members are unwilling or incapable of taking care of their new pet. I'd give them a chance first, lend them your help and give it a while. If it's not working-out, THEN you could suggest taking it off their hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.