Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #611 
litelboyblu

Omg, Red is so beautiful... You're getting me into Veiltails!!!!

Beautiful fishes as always!
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #612 
Fenghuang

Thanks, Blue. VTs are gorgeous. Maybe you should get one.

I love love love floating plants. This is azolla, I originally got the first bunch from Aqua Aurora. It just grows and grows and grows. I just added a little bit (enough to sparsely cover a quarter of the surface) and now it has almost taken over. This plant is less messy than duckweed, which is a plus.

The black thing is a piece of mesh I cut to look like a large almond leaf. Bend it down the middle and it should stay slightly folded, mimicking a floating leaf's shape and curve pretty well. My boys definitely love IAL best for building their nest under, but eventually IAL sink. I position a real leaf on top of it and it acts like a raft. Red likes to sit on the mesh on the sides where it dips below the waterline. He tucks his nest in the space between the bottom of the leaf and the top of the mesh.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #613 
Aqua Aurora

That not azolla, its salvinia minima. I've never kept azolla. Its a fast grower but much easier to manage than duckweed.

azolla

salvinia minima
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:37 AM   #614 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
That not azolla, its salvinia minima. I've never kept azolla. Its a fast grower but much easier to manage than duckweed.

azolla

salvinia minima
My apologies, Aurora, I could not for the life of me remember the name. But I saw similar plants someone was referring to as "azolla" the other day.

But yeah, it has as you can see, taken over my tank (well, tanks). So big big thanks!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #615 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
My apologies, Aurora, I could not for the life of me remember the name. But I saw similar plants someone was referring to as "azolla" the other day.

But yeah, it has as you can see, taken over my tank (well, tanks). So big big thanks!
No worries, and you're quite welcome ^^
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #616 
Fenghuang

Hi all, sorry for the lack of updates.... I always feel bad because I don't really have anything interesting or insightful to say/show.

We lost some members of the aquatic family at my girlfriend's house. Alice, our oldest axolotl died the other day. Xena (my little partial EE Petco baby) and two other bettas passed this month as well. Those were the blue/red bicolor PK and the black BF marble DeT. We've had Xena and the blue PK since last January and the black DeT since March. I feel kind of sucky also because I don't name any of my fish anymore and in a weird way, I feel like that means I didn't care for them enough and that's why they died. But I don't know...

Not too much to report on my front otherwise... Red is doing great and I swear he is growing even more. I am definitely itching to try him for breeding but I would probably need to find a female for him. And he was already a huge VT! My two DTs seem to be getting bigger too, but the cello is nibbling at his tail... My old breeding plans are still on hold since my fish are in another state still lol.

Um, I recultured my nematodes and need to reculture my white worms and now have way too much if any one wants some for the price of shipping. I would have to work out how to ship in these temperatures and if it is even a good idea to ship right now.

But in more uplifting news, this female is just the cutest and I am so tempted (despite so many reasons why I should buy any more fish).

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1454055609

Old 02-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #617 
Fenghuang

Hi everyone, no long no talk again... All my fish are doing well, everyone's fine. Not much updates because I hadn't really been up to anything new or exciting lol.

I got three new females today from the petstore down the street. I said no pet more pet quality fish, but these were in really rough shape and felt sorry for them. Yeah. I know.

Okay, so I picked pretty much the worse off of the few bettas they had left. I initially saw them the other day when I went into the store to kill some time. There were about twice as many bettas that day and they already looked pretty bad. I refrained from getting them because it's one thing to take on some unhappy looking pet store fish but a whole 'nother thing to get ones that are obviously sick with some fungal or bacterial thing. And I don't really have a lot of funds right now (I'm not working atm sadly; no, I didn't get fired or anything and boss still likes me and offered me a place for when my circumstances sre normal again, but it's complicated...), so I felt guilty about spending. But I couldn't stop thinking about them, so I went back today. There was a really really big female (like 3 inches long big) last time, but she was gone today. She was not looking good, so I can only hope she got purchased by a knowledgeable person and not something worse happened...

I did take a picture of her because I thought it would be cool to show you guys.

Anyway, I took the girls home and put them in a 10 gallon, divided three ways. I only filled it halfways. There's a sponge filter and a heater, of course. Added some kanamycin and a mild dose of aquarium salt to start. I do not know for the life of me where my methylene blue went. With my kitten Tony who gets into everything around, it is very likely that it's now a dried up blue stain behind a cabinet somewhere... I tried coaxing them to eat with some white worms.

Below are the ones I got. I do know if they will live actually. Especially the first one. She is very very lethargic, cloudy eyed, no appetite, super clamped. She also has all this fuzzy stringy growth on her. She mostly lays on the bottom of the tank, gasping listlessly. I do not really know if she'll make it through the night... She has that look about her.

Second girl is the most active and actually eats. Least clamped. She even responds to my hand in front of the tank. But she is skinny and has these greyish white fuzzy patches on the top of her head and back. You cannot really see in this photo, but I will try to get some more later. You know, kind of like the beginning of columnaris. Which concerns me.

Third girl has the least visibly wrong with her, but her fins are clamped and she swims in this erratic, jerky motion that just does not seem right. She also did not eat. But it is still possible that they're not use to live foods.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #618 
Fenghuang

It's been a few hours. So far all three females are still alive. They seem to have some SBD issues too. Particularly the two lighter colored ones. The more serious condition one floats now... Before she kept sinking. It could be from stress, but I do not know.

Also my gf took in another kitty. He is a 6 months old feral(?) cat that Ci's friend caught. He's undersized and blind and scared of everything. So far, the vet results look good. Will keep you all updated. (Was kind of afraid to say because you'll probably think we're hoarders... All the kitties except this new one is fixed though. And they're not all in the same house.)
Old 02-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #619 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

I always thought you were generous and kind but now I know it.

Rescuing anything is difficult; especially the cast-offs. For 25 years I was coordinator for German Shorthaired Pointer rescue in TN, AL, KY and GA so I know what often comes into care. My hat's off to you and Ci for helping.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:48 AM   #620 
Fenghuang

Oh, man, typos galore on that longer post earlier! Sorry, serves me right for not proofreading. >.< Aw, thanks, Linda, you are so kind. And you must have some stories! Would you maybe write about them in your journal sometimes?

Some pics... The healthier lighter female did eat actually. Turns out she wasn't so sure about the worms. But she accepted a few pellets graciously enough.

Their temporary abode.

My Georgia boys are alive and well! Pics for proof lol. Although my cello boy keeps stripping away his beautiful fins. But I think it's more common with white/lighter colored males?

He got booted from his tank to the bowl (which I broke down and reset without sans the plants for now) because his mommy was too lazy to mess around with the landscaping and add another divider.

Potato quality picture of Red because he MUST KEEP MOVING. Red's philosophy: "You can rest when you're dead."

Slightly better pic of the DT. He's all fins and flowy-ness.

Current condition of female... Lighting is still not showing the fuzzy patches on the darker color (I think she will be red when she gets her color back). One seems to be turning into a marble. The lightest one may possible be a cambodian pattern since she is showing black or blue in her fins.

Oh, oh, and some of the new kid! I think we decided on Matt Murdock/Daredevil to go with the comic theme of our cats. Although his actual rescuer/captor wanted Ronnie Milcat (after Ronnie Milsap the country singer). I don't know, what do you guys think? My gf took these, I just ripped them off of her FB/tumblr, so if you see them elsewhere... They have been posted elsewhere.

My gf just got off work. We're facetiming (talking right now) and he seems like such a sweetie. He is currently on antibiotics. He has an upper respiratory infection. He's malnourished and his ears were all clogged up with gunk and wax. We don't know what his hearing is like either because he doesn't really respond to other cats' meows. It might be better now that his ears got cleaned. One of his eyes is swollen and both are leaking, so maybe the blindness is from the infection and he'll get his vision back. His eyes do respond to some light stimuli, but it's minimal. Hadn't gotten vacinated/dewormed yet because of that, so he can't quite be with the other cats yet. He is very uncertain of his surroundings still, but very trusting of his caretakers.

Before/after his bath. Doesn't he look so much better?

He mostly just stays put unless you move him. He eats well, but doesn't seem to quite have gotten down drinking water and what to do in the litter box.

Look, gifs! Fancy!

Last edited by Fenghuang; 02-20-2016 at 12:53 AM.