Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #611 
litelboyblu

Omg, Red is so beautiful... You're getting me into Veiltails!!!!

Beautiful fishes as always!
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #612 
Fenghuang

Thanks, Blue. VTs are gorgeous. Maybe you should get one.

I love love love floating plants. This is azolla, I originally got the first bunch from Aqua Aurora. It just grows and grows and grows. I just added a little bit (enough to sparsely cover a quarter of the surface) and now it has almost taken over. This plant is less messy than duckweed, which is a plus.

The black thing is a piece of mesh I cut to look like a large almond leaf. Bend it down the middle and it should stay slightly folded, mimicking a floating leaf's shape and curve pretty well. My boys definitely love IAL best for building their nest under, but eventually IAL sink. I position a real leaf on top of it and it acts like a raft. Red likes to sit on the mesh on the sides where it dips below the waterline. He tucks his nest in the space between the bottom of the leaf and the top of the mesh.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #613 
Aqua Aurora

That not azolla, its salvinia minima. I've never kept azolla. Its a fast grower but much easier to manage than duckweed.

azolla

salvinia minima
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:37 AM   #614 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
That not azolla, its salvinia minima. I've never kept azolla. Its a fast grower but much easier to manage than duckweed.

azolla

salvinia minima
My apologies, Aurora, I could not for the life of me remember the name. But I saw similar plants someone was referring to as "azolla" the other day.

But yeah, it has as you can see, taken over my tank (well, tanks). So big big thanks!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #615 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
My apologies, Aurora, I could not for the life of me remember the name. But I saw similar plants someone was referring to as "azolla" the other day.

But yeah, it has as you can see, taken over my tank (well, tanks). So big big thanks!
No worries, and you're quite welcome ^^
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #616 
Fenghuang

Hi all, sorry for the lack of updates.... I always feel bad because I don't really have anything interesting or insightful to say/show.

We lost some members of the aquatic family at my girlfriend's house. Alice, our oldest axolotl died the other day. Xena (my little partial EE Petco baby) and two other bettas passed this month as well. Those were the blue/red bicolor PK and the black BF marble DeT. We've had Xena and the blue PK since last January and the black DeT since March. I feel kind of sucky also because I don't name any of my fish anymore and in a weird way, I feel like that means I didn't care for them enough and that's why they died. But I don't know...

Not too much to report on my front otherwise... Red is doing great and I swear he is growing even more. I am definitely itching to try him for breeding but I would probably need to find a female for him. And he was already a huge VT! My two DTs seem to be getting bigger too, but the cello is nibbling at his tail... My old breeding plans are still on hold since my fish are in another state still lol.

Um, I recultured my nematodes and need to reculture my white worms and now have way too much if any one wants some for the price of shipping. I would have to work out how to ship in these temperatures and if it is even a good idea to ship right now.

But in more uplifting news, this female is just the cutest and I am so tempted (despite so many reasons why I should buy any more fish).

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1454055609